Need help on Multiple issues for event planning

This topic is 3164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to add event management to the FMSP

As such:

I need to track Venues Seperately from Clients, is this best done as cloning Customers

I need to assign multiple Staff to projects - Is this best done as a new field?

- what's the best way to populate Calendar with Projects automatically?

- on the Asset Tracking page, which fields do I need to Edit for example, only show department drivers with trucks

- is there a way to make people unavailable for a time span after being assigned to a project?

- I want the "staff" default field to only show "project leads"

- Is there a way to Add an XML Layout mode?

- How much repition of scripts do I need to do to add every option from the ipad to the Iphone layout?

- Since we already use another inventory and quote system, would creating some Gear items where we enter the items' Relevant Pull sheet codes?

Hey Yibber, thats a lot of questions, but I'll help you with what I can.

I need to track Venues Seperately from Clients, is this best done as cloning Customers
If you mean duplicating the Clients Table to make a Venues table, yes this is a good way to start as they probably have a lot of overlapping fields.

I need to assign multiple Staff to projects - Is this best done as a new field?
You're going to need a new table as this is a many to many relationship. You might call the new table your Schedule table, and on it you would have an foreign id linking to the project, and another foreign id linking to the staff. On this table you could also store things like Shift Start Time and End Time if  you wanted.

Here is the before and after of how I set it up in FM Starting Point
 post-107063-0-16078100-1426895716_thumb.

Then I edited script "(1203) PRJ_Relating_Staff" to do this at the end of the script directly after the last comment.
--------------------------------------Sets the Contact ID field with the Script Result
Set Variable[$ProjectID; Value:T16_PROJECTS::ID_Project]
Go to Layout ["Schedule" (Schedule)]
New Record/Request
Set Field [Schedule::id_project; $ProjectID]
Set Field [Schedule::id_staff; get(scriptresult)]
go to layout [original layout]
go to object [Object Name: "Name of the tab"]
And finally you just need a portal, where the delete button just deletes the portal.

post-107063-0-07931400-1426895963_thumb.

- what's the best way to populate Calendar with Projects automatically?
The easiest way is probably just a button on the projects layout that manually goes to the todo table and creates a record using info about the project. If you want it to be truly automatic then just add a script trigger to the layout, possibly an on layout exit script trigger that goes and creates the todo list item with the project info.

- on the Asset Tracking page, which fields do I need to Edit for example, only show department drivers with trucks
I don't understand the question fully?

- is there a way to make people unavailable for a time span after being assigned to a project?
This would tie in again with the schedule table, you could add start and end times, and then when your searching for staff, you just include another search for who is not already scheduled.

- I want the "staff" default field to only show "project leads"
Again, I don't quite understand the question, do you mean the make sure the staff department or category is always set with project leads? Or are you talking about filtering?

- Is there a way to Add an XML Layout mode?
You can export data to XML, but I don't know what you mean by an XML layout.

- How much repition of scripts do I need to do to add every option from the ipad to the Iphone layout?
I have no idea. Hopefully you should be able to reuse the same scripts, if you script it smartly.

- Since we already use another inventory and quote system, would creating some Gear items where we enter the items' Relevant Pull sheet codes?
Are you asking if you can do this? Sure why not? Just add a new field to the items table called "Relevant Pull Sheet Code" and throw it on the layout.

Good Luck!

Well You've been VERY helpful ... far more helpful then i got on the main FM forums. I will implement what you described and come back with more questions.

As for the Assets:

on the asset management table, There is a field to assign staff to it.. which is fine, but the only Assets we're interested in assigning to shows via FM are the Drivers to shows and the vehicle they operate. I learned a while ago how to make working lists, but Which fields in particular in the FMSP do i need to edit to create this driver only staff? (there's so many, do i have to EDIT them all?)

As for XML: When i load up FMDroid to FMSP it creates a horrible interface where I basically only see every single table item and field and totally inappropriate.. is there a way to test for XML and to use say, a limited Iphone style view?(ie , just the buttons and fields no graphics?)

The Schedule table -- I like the weekly view, but I found that each FMSP page has loads of scripts,I'm not sure which scrips I'd need to disable for this purpose.

The To'Do's are fine, but they do not automatically add from the project table to the calendar table.

Pull sheets: yes, I was thinking of doing this..

the company has staff, Crew, leads, drivers. with management level people capable of being all of the positions. I already figured how to use their titles to sort them earlier, but I believe that using departments is the best way to get my people in lists that are suitable.

Finally, I need a theme that is color neutral, I tried doing this by hand, but it ended up horrible, and un-uniform, the Calendar table got really wierd looking as well. Ideally I just need dark grey/grey but using the same style or even just outline style (Think,OSX color scheme) I would like to be able to import such a style and apply it everywhere.

As for the Assets:

on the asset management table, There is a field to assign staff to it.. which is fine, but the only Assets we're interested in assigning to shows via FM are the Drivers to shows and the vehicle they operate. I learned a while ago how to make working lists, but Which fields in particular in the FMSP do i need to edit to create this driver only staff? (there's so many, do i have to EDIT them all?)

the company has staff, Crew, leads, drivers. with management level people capable of being all of the positions. I already figured how to use their titles to sort them earlier, but I believe that using departments is the best way to get my people in lists that are suitable.

It sounds like both of the above problems can be solved with some better staff control. So the easiest way to allow selecting of multiple positions or departments is to change the field type to checkbox set. Then create a new value list with the different positions you want. This way you can have people that can do multiple things, or drivers that are driver only staff.

post-107063-0-76092800-1427170289_thumb.

Now for getting only drivers to show up from the asset staff selection. First you need to find the equivalent script in your database to "(0646) AST_Relating_a_Staff" and add a script parameter to the script step "Perfrom Script ("(0403a) Staff_ID_Search ")" that is the category you want to filter down to. 

post-107063-0-01675100-1427170947_thumb.

The last step is to take the script parameter in script "(0403a) Staff_ID_Search " and do a search for all staff with driver set as one of their departments. 

post-107063-0-64274600-1427171393_thumb.

As for XML: When i load up FMDroid to FMSP it creates a horrible interface where I basically only see every single table item and field and totally inappropriate.. is there a way to test for XML and to use say, a limited Iphone style view?(ie , just the buttons and fields no graphics?)

Sorry I don't know anything about FMDroid or much about XML.

The To'Do's are fine, but they do not automatically add from the project table to the calendar table.

You can automate this pretty easily with a script trigger. Just add a script trigger to the layout so that it fires when you leave the project detail view. The script is really simple and just takes information about the project and creates a todo list item, and marks the flag to show it on the calendar. You just do a search first to see if a todo list item has already been linked to a project so it doesn't create a new one every single time you leave the layout.

post-107063-0-69438900-1427172775_thumb.

Finally, I need a theme that is color neutral, I tried doing this by hand, but it ended up horrible, and un-uniform, the Calendar table got really wierd looking as well. Ideally I just need dark grey/grey but using the same style or even just outline style (Think,OSX color scheme) I would like to be able to import such a style and apply it everywhere.

This is easy to change in Filemaker 13 but if your on Filemaker 12 it's not as easy. If your using 13 you can just change the color scheme on one layout and hit save changes to style on the style tab in the inspector, and then save changes to theme also located on the styles tab of the inspector, and it will update the theme across the board. If your using 12, then I suggest either going to every single layout and changing the theme to one you like, but it will most likely seriously mess up the sizing of your layouts and you'll be hating life.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi 

A question about the script triggering projects being added to the calendar. 

I have copied Voltron's script and set the trigger but it wasnt working. I then added the script to a button so I could trigger it and see what the problem is. When I look at the values generated I can see that T19 isnt related. I tried related tables in T16 and 19 range but it still doesnt take the value in the set field command. At no stage is anything added to the calendar either. 

Hopefully this will make sense in the screenshot, I realise its a mismash, I have been trying lots of different things. 

Clearly I am new to this however I was really hoping someone might be able to see my problem quickly

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Cheers

Mark 

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 2.13.42 pm.png

• 1 month later...

This topic is 3164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.