[REQ] Valid path for second database folder

This topic is 3285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

trying to locate an external storage folder on an other drive than the server I set up the second database folder path. It was working fine on the same hard drive but asa I tried to setup a network drive it … no, ME failed.

Looking in the Server help here:
http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fms/en/index.html#page/fms/fmsh_nontoc.22.32.html%23ww1031128

it states:

For example, filewin://serverName/shareName/folderName/

but if you read the german version it states:

Beispiel: filewin:/serverName/shareName/ordnerName/

QUESTION:
1) How many slashes do I need for a NETWORK volume?
2) The database containing the pictures to be stored externally HAS to reside in the same database folder as the external storage. Means I have to move the DB to the network folder when I want to store the pics there?
3) Is it correct that the user "fmserver" must have write privileged on the network volume itself (not only on the folder created)

As always, any meaningful response is greatly appreciated!

pixi

I'm actually surprised that the help even talks about a network share folder.  I was in the belief that FMS does not allow you to choose a network share for either the live files or the backup, it would never validate the path.

Storing live files (RC data or the file itself) on a network share is not a good idea IMHO.  It is fragile and slow.  Of the 4 potential bottlenecks (processing power, disk i/o, memory and network bandwidth), FMS deployment typically are the most vulnerable to the first two: processing power and disk i/o.

By storing live data on a network share you are deliberately putting a big constraint on the disk i/o.  If I was asked to review the deployment that would be the first thing I insist is undone.

2) The database containing the pictures to be stored externally HAS to reside in the same database folder as the external storage. Means I have to move the DB to the network folder when I want to store the pics there?

​No, that is no longer true since 13.

• Like 1

3) Is it correct that the user "fmserver" must have write privileged on the network volume itself (not only on the folder created)

​fmserver must have READ privileges on the root folder(s), and WRITE privileges on the destination folder itself.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised that the help even talks about a network share folder.  I was in the belief that FMS does not allow you to choose a network share for either the live files or the backup, it would never validate the path.

Storing live files (RC data or the file itself) on a network share is not a good idea IMHO.  It is fragile and slow.  Of the 4 potential bottlenecks (processing power, disk i/o, memory and network bandwidth), FMS deployment typically are the most vulnerable to the first two: processing power and disk i/o.

By storing live data on a network share you are deliberately putting a big constraint on the disk i/o.  If I was asked to review the deployment that would be the first thing I insist is undone.

Can't try it on WIN but I've tried to set up a Network-Share on Mac which brings me enclosed warning. So, assuming that your assumption is right and the term "network" ist just a typo, there is no way to store the data folder on an other network drive?

The intention is to upload pics taken with the mobile version of the app to the server version and then automatically store them in a directory. Later the staff checks the folder and if there are some in there, take them out for post processing.

While writing this… just copying the pictures may do the job too…

So, how does a Windows system script have to look like to just copy the pics from the data folder to an external volume with the same structure, without overwriting the existing folders/pics?

NetworkShare01.png

The intention is to upload pics taken with the mobile version of the app to the server version and then automatically store them in a directory. Later the staff checks the folder and if there are some in there, take them out for post processing.

You would not want to that. FMI has made it very clear that you have to treat RC data just like any other live FM data: you don't let anyone touch or copy a live FM file.  If you do it could screw up the backups, mess up your data records,...

I've warned the customer and strongly advised not to mess with this folder(s) but exporting the pics via FM instead. It's their decision if they ignore that.

This topic is 3285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.