Autoresizing Merge Fields

This topic is 3277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I have a text field for entering the description of work being quoted for, almost every description will vary in size on each quote, all other fields aren't a problem, only this one because it needs user input on every quote, input that varies in text length.

My problem is this, that when I add this text field as a 'merge field' to a letter, it doesn't automatically resize to fit the description for work to be done. In the inspector>Position>Autoresizing I have the top and left anchors locked, which I thought would have allowed the field to expand to the right [though I don't want it to overshoot the page] and down. However the field isn't expanding at all, but clipping the text.  

I think I understand 'sliding', but I don't believe that reflects in anyway on this issue.

Should or can a 'merge field' autoresize to adjust to differing text lengths entered on another layout, or am I expecting too much?

Appreciated, Karlos.

I think I understand 'sliding', but I don't believe that reflects in anyway on this issue.

​Hi Karlos,

The key is that fields reduce but never expand so make the field the largest you wish it to be and then it will reduce IF you also check 'sliding up' and 'also reduce enclosing part'.  It reduces only in preview mode or when printed.

Edited by LaRetta

The key is that fields reduce but never expand

Hey LaRetta, thats really helpful, appreciated.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I wasn't notified that I had received a reply, I'd better check my notification settings!

This topic is 3277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.