Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Basic (pie) charting

Greg Hains

This topic is 3271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have never had a problem with Excel charting so I think I have the basics down "pat", but I am new to FM charting.

In my example, I have 20 records. Each record has a single field called Status which has one of 5 different entries. "Raised", "Scheduled", "Monitoring", "In Progress", or "Complete".
I would have thought that drawing a pie chart based on this field would give me a pie chart that is divided into 5 slices - showing the five categories and corresponding record count per category. What I get is 20 identically sized slices. I get the same result from a bar chart. I MUST be doing something wrong.

The Slice and Category information both point to the same field. (This is the model I've narrowed it down to for testing, but in my real world solution there are more fields that are not relevant to this function.)

I've read through the forum and a few help pages and they all seem straight forward but it's still giving me grief. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Comment - my regular lifeline. :)

Yes, I tried using a Summary field, but as there would be 5 of them to do a tally of each of the 5 categories..and can only pull from one field. (?).... I got the same results anyway. I would have thought that it pulled the Category name from the field with the categories in it, then the actual numbers from the summary field - that's where I started. No luck. :(

Edited by Greg Hains

Yes, I tried using a Summary field, but as there would be 5 of them to do a tally of each of the 5 categories..

​You only need one summary field because you're not tallying categories, but records* – which is why the crucial step is to sort by category.

(So you need “Count of” a non-empty field.)

This topic is 3271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.