Pass info from A db into B db being opened by A db

This topic is 8040 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need suggestions on the best way to send information from login db that is opening other db's. I need to carry over a username, code, and single digit to indicate access level.

I had made a catentated field pulling all those together which was copied in the script opening the other db's. On open their opening script pasted it into a global field.

My FMP build passwords are the same for all files involved though the privilege levels are different in subsequent files.

I can get it to work all the time on the host computer but only on higher access levels on the work stations on the network. The work stations will not allow the subsequent files to be opened.

Is there another way I can get this info over and open the other files no matter what the FMP password that is being passed over???

Thanks,

Bev

Can you give me a little more information?

If I setup the field in one file as global and setup the same field in the other file as global, I don't understand how to use a relationship to get the information to pass from one file to the other.

The information from the first file is the teacher who is logging in. The second file is the main db file that has records from lots of teachers. I want to use the log in file to open the main db file and bring with it the teacher name so I can use it to limit restrict of Browse, Edit and Delete as well as which records the teacher can see.

I have used relationships for lookups but I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated greatly,

Bev

Set up the relationship so that any record in A relates to any record in B. Insert the value into the global field in A, pop over to db D and look at the related global field: the value you want is there!

BTW You cannot have globals on both sides of the relationship. I often use a calculation field (equal to 1) on both sides to create the all-record relationship.

This topic is 8040 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.