Software Development and Math

This topic is 3216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Since there is so much math involved in coding, calculations, scripting, etc...I've started looking at increasing my proficiency in various areas of mathematics. Math has always come fairly easy to me, but on occasion I run into various ideas or scenarios where it takes me longer than I like to figure my way through a problem. And once I get it working, wonder how much more efficient the process, or me, could be if I broadened my scope of mathematical insights. Since I am primarily self-taught in most areas of my skill-sets, I thought I should reach out to see what other developers are doing.

Then I decided this would be a great place to ask. What branches of mathematics have you found most helpful when developing and coding?

Josh

Great topic!  What to know really depends on your client base.  If your clients are all Bookies, you should study statistics, but if your client base is mostly Architects, trig might serve you better.

Occasionally I have come across interesting math challenges.  Luckily I have a friend who is a High School math teacher, he helps me out.  My favorite problems have been geometrical.  I had one client who needed their database to figure out if packages could fit in their small truck.  If they didn't fit, then they needed to use a more (expensive) rented truck.  The interesting puzzle, was the packages had variable dimensions and some could be put in at angles, and some needed to be vertical or horizontal.  Quite a challenge!

In general, I would say knowing statistics is the best skill any programmer could have.  It is applicable to any type of business, school or non profit.  

This topic is 3216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.