Corruption issue using different computers?

This topic is 3200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi forum.  I discovered a corruption issue in my DB while being helped with a relationship issue (by Comment).  Was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

I can't pinpoint the source as it happened, but these corruption issues pop up whenever I work on the DB from home on my Windows 8 laptop, instead of my Windows 7 desktop.  I saw some issues when I use the peer to peer setup to check things in real time on my iPad.  I also noticed when I close the DB on the laptop, there seems to be a lag in saving changes.  IOW, I open it right back up and some of the changes I made weren't there.

Same thing happens if I closed a file,  and immediately copy it to dropbox, or a thumbdrive

I notice if I close a file, then keep rolling over the icon, the tooltip doesn't show the 'Date Modified' time as correct for about 15 seconds.  First I just figured it was a desktop refresh issue, but maybe not?

Guess I need to let it sit before copying it to Dropbox and/or onto a thumbdrive for backup.  I did put Flush Cache to Disk script step in my LastWindowClose script, but don't really know how to tell if that works.

I don't think working on a DB with 2 different window environments could be the cause.

I am aware of shuffling the DB back and forth over Dropbox is not recommended and will contribute to this.  This is just a 'for fun' DB.  The one I created for my business only gets backed up to removable drives.

I didn't know if I should just reinstall FM 12 Adv. on the laptop (I'll have some time off soon and wanted to upgrade to 14)

Don't think there is much to comment here on, except a probably earful about dropbox :)

Thanks

Steve

Some, but probably not all, issues that can cause corruption:

Improper/unplanned closing of a file while it is open (think power loss to the host)  

Virus scanning of a file that is open/hosted.

Backing (not FMS backups) up a file while it is open/hosted.

Opening/hosting a file from within a drop box or other folder sharing technology.

FM GO not closing a file correctly (double click home and swipe up on GO to close).

Network disconnections / interruptions when a file is hosted.

If corruption is present it will reappear unless carefully repaired.

Even then it may still come back.

The only 100% guaranteed fix for corruption is to rebuild the file from scratch.

Always try to do development on FMS because it provides a buffer against some of the corruption risks.

Edited by Kris M

This topic is 3200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.