Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Removing fields from an existing sync

This topic is 3162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a sync configuration that has been in use for a year or more and I'd like to remove a couple of container fields from syncing.  These fields are in a preferences table which in only synced from hub to spoke systems, it is not bidirectional.  The spoke database is different than the hub database, tailored specifically for the remote users.

Can this be done without having the spoke systems download a new copy of the remote file?  I can remove the fields from the sync layouts, rebuild the configuration, and copy and paste new sync scripts in the server copy of the files, but will that cause problems for users still syncing with files created under the previous configuration?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Craig

WaterDog, I have not tested this particular scenario, so I can't say for 100% certainty, but I think it will work OK. For now, just remove the fields from the sync layout (don't actually delete the fields), and then run through the configuration and re-pasting process. If that works, then it's safe to delete the fields permanently; if it doesn't, then put them back on the sync layout until you can coordinate with distributing new offline files to your users.

Thanks Jesse, I'll give it a try.  It isn't a critical issue so I do have the ability to wait for the next role out if necessary.  If I do end up having to put the fields back on the layouts I should also run the configuration and re-paste scripts again, correct?

Craig

This topic is 3162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.