This topic is 8018 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Without a plugin, the simplest way is to use a global text field g_bar which contains 100 "|". Then have a calculation (text) which determines the length of your bar as =Left(g_bar,number). Number can be an absolute or a percentage of a total. For display purposes, replicate the field so you have 3 copies and then overlay them, each offset by 1 pixel.

You can also do it by using repeating container fields, or a portal of container fields.

Hello,

YES, you can create a 'bar' graph with data from FileMaker... It's not a pretty thing to do though. In fact, it's almost UGLY.

Here's a simple sample:

- Create a 'blank' layout with 'many' columns

- Define field "Bar" as a Calc field with a Text result

-- Left("||||||...|||||", Int(DataField))

--- Use 100 "|" characters between quotes

--- 'DataField' is the field you want to graph

- Insert the "Bar" field on the layout

- Rotate the "Bar" field to a vertical orientation

- Insert 'DataField'

- In 'Browse' mode, add new record and enter data in 'DataField'

- Preview to see vertical graphs

NOTES:

- You can only enter data in 'Browse' mode

- You can only view graph in 'Preview' mode

- You can 'Copy' the graph to the 'clipboard' in 'Preview' mode

- You can then 'Paste' the graph into a 'container' field or another application

IDEA:

Create a script to get graph & data and move to another application such as a spreadsheet.

This is about the best I've been able to come up with... not pretty, but usable. There maybe a plug-in. Look on the FileMaker site (http://www.filemaker.com/plugins/index.html).

I have a simple sample file. Let me know if you would like it e-mailed to you.

Hope this helps...

Bob

It's ugly, and simple, but that's all i needed. I had a summary field already to show me the total hits for the bunch, so i set up a percentage based off 100.

Here it is, be ready to cringe.

Left("||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||", Int((Hits/sHitTotal)*100))

But it does the job. Made the text field the same size as 100% colored it differnt, so i see what it is vs 100%.

Thanks!

Dear nightdesigns,

No problem with your solution, but I wonder where you got a field named "sHitTotal". Seems to me that a ... shall we say "less than careful" capitalization might tend to lead some people to draw an unintended conclusion.

It's funny that your bring that up. It has no intention to be offensive in any way. It's a summary field, so i start it with an s then the field name. I do the same for calc fields © and global fields (g). Makes finding things easy. Hit total just happened to be a summary field. Ah well.

-j

This topic is 8018 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.