Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running Filemaker Client on an RDS Server

jimbol46

This topic is 3156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My Filemaker client recently did a major environmental upgrade which includes a new Filemaker Server and hardware at the main and remote offices. Besides Office 365 running under RDS, the Filemaker Client too, access the FMS server files from a session on an RDS Server.

1. The first there a major issue was it could no longer call Microsoft Outlook an attachment. We tried several plug-in that functioned, but the user wanted to continue  to be at Outlook first and then when/if necessary change / add email address.  The issue was resolved using "Send Event" and parsing the data in the call to Outlook.exe. [it went from the simple Email using Client to line of code to about 10 lines of code... however, the client is happy and a great learning experience.]

2. There is a reoccurring issue that sometimes pop-up. the system has a relationship to a contact file for a specific type of contact. this Relationship is used to build a pull down value list and keep consistency throughout the overall system.

How many other FMP users have experience using FM Client from a session on an RDS Server and have there been any obstacles to overcome.  What were they and how did you overcome them.  thanks in advance...

How many other FMP users have experience using FM Client from a session on an RDS Server and have there been any obstacles to overcome.  What were they and how did you overcome them.  thanks in advance...

The main obstacles usually have to do with printing to the printer physically near the user and exchanging files (such as files that need to go into container fields).  Email can be an issue if the email client is not in the same RDS session.

Your #2 does not seem to be a typical RDS related issue.  What is the problem there?

I just got a new HP Laptop with Windows 8.1 and loaded the same software on it ..[I was initially testing using Parallel and running Windows 8.1 / needed to stop finger pointing] The major difference is that my Office 365 & FMP are loaded locally.  The script creates a report, saves a PDF and then sends email via Email-Client.  e.g. it would open M/S Outlook with the generated email, works fine in the Mac environment and my New HP laptop.  but on the machines running FMP & Office 365 via RDS.. nada... If the script did not have an attachment, it was a good EOJ.  I had the plug-ins for Mandrill, 360Works & PCEM Send Mail working.. but they basically by passed the open Outlook environment.  Finally my co-consutl who set up the environment, chatted with Filemaker and they suggest the Send Event to Outlook.exe.. and after a little work and being close we got the puppy to function as expected. I was so close many times .. but I was not putting the parse fields within quotes..  I have attached prints for a better idea of the script steps.

part 2- it has issues with the Drop Down Menu generated from the relationship to the Contact of the person to assign the particular action too. client user says there is a message of it not available or blank. If they restart FMP, it goes away. 

Part 3 - I think we were having issues with going to printers too., but my co-consultant is working on an override solution. 

Part 4 - there may be some "Find" issues.. such as going to the previous find even when we attempt to tell to create new find. I have to do more research on this factor.  

Send Event W_Attachment.png

Outlook Parsed fields setup.png

SendEvent Calc Field.png

According to my Co-Consultant.. Outlook is running via RDS.

FYI - Sidebar - Last night upgraded server from V13 to v14, did backup, did uninstall, fresh install of FMS V14, Checked settings, etc... things looked great.. File opened as expected. However there was an issue running FMP Go from my & Matt's iPad. In the Launch list we could see a file named Food Insp. Database [note period in name], I could open it using FMP Advanced v14. Matt and I could see file in Host launch list. However, when we clicked on from iPad, it said file not found.  Also FMP Advanced v13, had the same issue. It could see but not really open.  When renaming the file to Food Insp Database [without the period]. It worked.  BTW, I cannot claim responsibility for the original name.  I bit my tongue when initially taking on the project. I can open file in FMP Advanced v13 too.  Question - with the rename would it be good to simple recovery or complex recovery with empty file and re-import table by table.  thanks.. Jim 

This topic is 3156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.