Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Reducing database file size by store container fields externally

This topic is 3117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good day all,

I have a monster 25 GB Filemaker database file hosted by Filemaker server. The file already started to perform slow. I recently set storage option of all container fields to "Open Storage". All photos from container fields are now stored on a local hard drive of my server computer. But the database file size is still the same, not even 1 byte smaller. Any thoughts?

Is there any other ways of file size reducing?

Regards,

Take the file down and run the "save as - compacted" as a first step

Wim,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, I followed your suggestion and now it is very much smaller.

I wonder what happens now if I deploy this copy again in my Filemaker server, and let users to add data to this file? Should I take the file down, save a copy as compacted, then deploy it again every now and then? Or it will not store the images in container fields from now on?

Thanks you!

If you have set the container settings correctly it will now store all container data remotely and not increase your file size.  Doing a "save as compact" is good periodic maintenance ( every month, a few times per year,...) as it reclaims empty space and reorders the logical internal blocks.

• Like 1

If you have set the container settings correctly it will now store all container data remotely and not increase your file size.  Doing a "save as compact" is good periodic maintenance ( every month, a few times per year,...) as it reclaims empty space and reorders the logical internal blocks.

Thank you so much.

This topic is 3117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.