Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Playing Wack-a-nul

This topic is 3188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution that has some records that have somehow (via imports of the years, bad data entry by users, hanging a horseshoe the wrong way, etc) gotten NUL characters in some text fields.  This is playing havoc on some scripted processes I use to concatenate data across multiple fields into the clipboard for quick transfer to other apps.  The NUL is stopping the process somehow.  So, I'd like to clean this character from the fields when it's found.  But a general Substitute ( text ; searchString ; replaceString ) doesn't work since I can't specify the nul.  "Char (0)" returns an "empty string" instead of the character according to FM Help and in application, this seems to be true since the substitution is not catching the character.

Any ideas on how to filter out this character en mass?

Thanks

comment for the win!

That did the trick.  Sometimes a fresh perspective on a simple task is all that's needed.

Thanks for the help.

David in Fishers

Need to clarify for future finders of this post...  I was unable to paste the nul into a global since it seems that the FM interface filters this from pasting.  I had to import a text file holding the nul into a global and then referencing the global in the substitute function. 

This topic is 3188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.