Help finding related records

beckham

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi can anyone please advise how to create a search script please:

I have a filemaker file which contains a field that always as 7 numbers i.e.: 0000314 i want to use this information to find records in another Filemaker File

whose field contains the full length code i.e.: 000314-04-23456

Any advise on the best way to archive this would be most welcome.

Thanks and happy Holidays to all!

It's hard to tell what's the best way with so little to go on. If you need this often, why don't you define a relationship between the two tables, matching the 7-digit field with a calculation field in the other file =

GetValue ( Substitute ( FullCode ; "-" ; ¶ ) ; 1 )

The result type needs to be Text.

With this in place, you can use the Go To Related Record[] script step to"find" the matching records.

The other way is to call a script in the "other" file, and pass it the 7-digit value as the parameter - which the target field will then use to perform a find in the FullCode field.

Note:

1. Probably just a typo, but "000314" is only 6 digits and will not match "0000314".
  2. I am not sure what you mean by "archive this" (perhaps "achieve" with auto-correct on?)

Edited by comment

Hi Comment,

Thank you for you're reply, you are correct the 000314 is a typo and also the spell checker changed the word achieve to archive.. sorry for the confusion.

To try and be clearer I have a filemaker pro file (A) which contains the full product code of 0000314-04-23456

in another Filemaker pro file (B) I have data which contains only the 0000314 section of that number, I am tying to find the best soloution so the I can

create a button/script that can locate data in file (A) from the Button/script placed in file (B)

Thank you for helping

This topic is 3041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.