Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problem Sliding Up Field in Preview

BamaBino

This topic is 2488 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I suggest two things:

1) Make sure none of the objects overlap.  I suspect Rationale is not sliding because it is not completely below Description field.  Select Description and get it's bottom location in Inspector. Then select the Rationale text and make sure the top number is 1 pt below that.  Repeat for the Rationale field, making sure it is 1 pt below the Rationale text.

2) After you've made sure everything does not overlap, drag your cursor around all objects in the body and re-set them to slide up just to make sure there is not a hidden text object or line etc which is causing the failure.  ANY object not set to slide can cause the rest to fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaRetta said:

2) After you've made sure everything does not overlap, drag your cursor around all objects in the body and re-set them to slide up just to make sure there is not a hidden text object or line etc which is causing the failure.  ANY object not set to slide can cause the rest to fail.

There was a hidden object that was causing the problem.

Thank you La Retta.

• 1 year later...

I'm having this same issue but can't seem to find anything. Mine is a tiny gap just below the bottom field. I've done both of your suggestions, but still a tiny gap. Is the gap the hidden fields just not completely hiding? 

On 2/5/2016 at 1:32 PM, LaRetta said:

I suggest two things:

1) Make sure none of the objects overlap.  I suspect Rationale is not sliding because it is not completely below Description field.  Select Description and get it's bottom location in Inspector. Then select the Rationale text and make sure the top number is 1 pt below that.  Repeat for the Rationale field, making sure it is 1 pt below the Rationale text.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 3.01.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 3.01.40 PM.png

It is difficult to see but it looks like those fields are more than 1 pt between the subject 'rows'.  Try this:  

1. Back up your file first.
  2. Select the Subject1 field.  Increase it's height by 1pt.
  3. Drag/select around all the fields from the Subject 1 line on down - Grab ALL fields on all the rows.
  4. From Inspector 'position' tab (the ruler), go down to 'Arrange and Align' and to the Resize portion.  Select the fourth icon, which is 'resize to largest height'.  This will crease the height of all the fields by 1 pt.  Then go to browse and take a look.
  5. Lastly, if there is still a small gap, that bottom line looks an additional 1 pt too low so if need be, move it up by 1 pt.

I am surprised that you aren't using only Sliding and Visibility instead of all the Hide calculations (it would be more efficient and simpler).  Also, I feel I must mention that you have multiple 'like' fields on a single record.  Whenever you have multiple fields with a number following, it indicates that they are the same type of data and it means that your structure is not optimum.  You should instead have multiple records with a field named Subject where you enter the number.  Then your reporting would be a List view instead of your current situation of using form view.

As is, there are many limitations to reporting and display when all data is in a single record so if you are not far into the design, or even if you are but can take the time to change, I suggest you switch to a true normalized structure.  This forum is the perfect place to get assistance on how to establish a normalized structure (please post a new question if you want to try it).  So if you can, I strongly urge you to restructure now.  If you wait, you will most likely realize you have it wrong later and it will be difficult to correct once real data is entered. 

Let us know how it goes.  There are many folks here willing to assist. :-)

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 2488 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.