Mystery global variable - Research starter solution

This topic is 2901 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I'm hoping one of you might be able to solve my little mystery! I've been using and modifying the Research Notes Starter solution, I find it very interesting dissecting these.  I've sussed out most of the function but the $$Current_Type global variable baffles me, it's used as an auto-enter for the 'TYPE MATCH FIELD' in the 'Data' table which is then used as a match field to separate data into it's relevant portals; Notes, Media & Documents. Depending on which portal you create the record via 'TYPE MATCH FIELD' is populated with one of these 3 types directly from the $$Current_Type variable. But I can't see it in action anywhere, there are no script triggers on the portals, none of the scripts seem to contain $$Current_Type and nothing happens in the data viewer when I create new records ...yet it populates correctly each time.

I'm clearly missing something but I don't know of any way of viewing pre-existing variables - so just how is $$Current_Type set?

Now I feel like a fool, as I suspected I would. That script folder was collapsed but a script under it made it look as if expanded. Though I didn't expect iPad scripts to be active on the desktop - not thinking laterally.

Thanks Steve, I'll now study the database design report further.

I think I've got it, though correct me if I'm wrong. I've gone through the DDR but this didn't really help in this instance, the iPad scripts are not used on the desktop, the key seems to be that although the TYPE MATCH FIELD is set to auto enter $$CURRENT_TYPE, (which is empty via desktop) 'Do Not replace Existing Value' is unchecked which means when a new record is created in the Data table via a portal, the value is pulled via it's relationship (the Global Match field in Research Notes table)

Yeah it's not always easy to dissect.  On the DDR, I saw the global variables and it referenced (used in scripts) the iPad scripts.  Although the Starter solutions are really nice for U/I design and ideas, and to show concepts and how things work, I always understand better by building from scratch.

This topic is 2901 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.