This topic is 2875 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Could anyone with a Filemaker brain please advise on how i can "mark" a found set to show they are related to each other?

I have a single table database which contains 1000 records, I search the database and find 10 records that meet the search criteria.

I want to "mark" all 10 records to show a relationship to the other members of that found set without going into each record separately, similar to a snapshot but not creating a snapshot file.

My desired result would be if ANY member of that 10 found records is viewed the user can see it as 9 other records which are related.

Many thanks for any advice on the best way to do this.

In general, marking a found set is not a good idea. A found set belongs to the user that found it. Marking it would modify the found records permanently, and for all users.

Could you explain in more detail what's the real purpose behind this question? There's probably a better way to achieve it.

Note also that you can make records in the same category related to each other, by defining a self-join relationship matching on the category field. This would be available at all times, and not depending on any user performing a find.

--
P.S. Please pick a more descriptive title for your post.

Edited by comment

HI Comment, Thank you for your response.

"Marking it would modify the found records permanently, and for all users." 

That is exactly what i am trying to achieve, people can do searches and find records independently but i would like a found record to have a button/script that would show the records i have "marked" as related to the found record.

The found set may not be in the same category etc, but i may wish to make users aware that some relationship exists with other records.

10 minutes ago, beckham said:

people can do searches and find records independently but i would like a found record to have a button/script that would show the records i have "marked" as related to the found record.

I would still ask what this is really about - i.e. what would these markings represent in real life.

Note that by your description, any user could mark any group of records as related to each other - so some records could end up belonging to more than one group. And since we don't know what this means in real life, we don't know if such groups should be merged or kept separate. In any case, I believe you would need some way of identifying these groups - most likely by creating a table for them.

"I would still ask what this is really about - i.e. what would these markings represent in real life."

My database contains editorial text for use in Greeting cards.

"any user could mark any group of records as related to each other"

Users have read only access to the Database, One admin would mark the found verses as related. when a read only user comes across one the found verses I would like to find a way to allow them to see the other records that i (the admin) have related to it. The found record could be any 1 of the 10 I described in my example.

Sorry if Im not explaining this clearly enough.. thanks again

You haven't really explained what these markings mean and how would they be used.

Most importantly, you did not say what should happen when you want to mark 10 found records as related to each other - but some of those records are already marked as related to other records.

--
I hope you realize that if I knew the answer to the first question, I wouldn't have to ask the second one.

Edited by comment

"You haven't really explained what these markings mean and how would they be used."

the markings would simply open the related records to view as a found set

"Most importantly, you did not say what should happen when you want to mark 10 found records as related to each other - but some of those records are already marked as related to other records."

The found set (10) would become a family or group of records so if a user finds any 1 of the 10 a script would open and display the other 9 records.

All the records have a unique ID, I thought if I knew how to extract that field info from all the found set (10 records) using a scripted button, combine and place into all the found (10 records) that would create a link between them so I could then use "find Matching records" where this combination of unquie ID's exist. But Im unsure if that could be scripted? 

How can I copy all the found set "Unique ID's" at once?

Edited by beckham

I am afraid you're not answering my questions.

Let me suggest the following experiment: define a Groups field (Text) in your table, and a script that does something like:

Set Variable [ $group; Value: Get(UUID) ]
Replace Field Contents [ No Dialog ; Inventory::Groups; List ( Inventory::Groups ; $group ) ]
Commit Records

Next, define a self-join relationship matching on the Groups field.

Run the above script to mark the current found set as belonging to a group. You can show the records that are related to the current record in a portal based on the self-join and/or find them by using a button defined to Go to Related Records.

Note that this assumes records will not be locked by other users when you run the script.

Edited by comment

Thank you Comment for your time and advise, i will attempt this and post back if i can get it to work for me.

Hi Comment I have now discovered how to create a self-join relationship but I am struggling to complete your script from "List" I only have a step "open managed Value List",

My original Table is named Inventory and field name is Groups, I have created Inventory2 as a self join and created a relationship on Groups.

If I key in the words as shown i get an error at the ]  thanks again

Edited by beckham

This topic is 2875 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.