Need Condx Value List to show non-existent records

Rich S

This topic is 2801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know this is "out there", but I must be muffing the search criteria so my apologies for this being covered elsewhere.

I have two related files (by StudentID number), Application and Student Database. I've set up a global field in Student Database where a user clicks on its Menu-style value list to show the names of students in Application; what I want to do is show the names of students (from Application) who don't have an existing record in Student Database. That way, it'll reduce the thousands of records/names our clerks have to plow through to find only the ones that don't have a record in Student Database; after the name is selected, a script trigger will fire a script that, through a find, will import the student's data from Application to Student Database.

I've created another T.O. with the StudentID fields as keys, and have tried setting the join by "X" and "≠"--with no luck--but I may be botching it with the Value List set-up as Use values from field (a calculated field [stored], APPLICATION::Name_Last_First); I tried both Include all values and Include only related values starting from: Student Database ...no luck, either.

How should I set this up so it works?

TIA for your help!

Rich

Not sure that's the best method in terms of user interface, but in any case, if you want to have a relationship to all the orphans in the Applications table, you can define an unstored calculation field (result is Text) in the Students table =

ValueListItems ( Get(FileName) ; "Students" )

where Students is a value list using values from Students::StudentID.

Then link this field to Applications 2::StudentID, using the ≠ relational operator.

• Like 1

This topic is 2801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.