Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Typing a function into script workspace

This topic is 2727 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello Scribe 2 users,

I am new to Scribe 2. I am having a hard time typing a function into the script workspace. F.e. I do see the Scribe function when I enter them in an IF statement. But If I want to start a script with a Scribe function, the Scribe functions do not appear. See the attachments for a visual.

I hope you can help me so I can start exploring Scribe and convince my colleagues that this is a valuable plug-in.

Are there training movies? Except from FMPug Without Borders | Scribe 2 | Sam Barnum | FileMaker 14 Training Videos which is too fast for me, I was not able to find them..

King Regards,

Baran

Scribe IF statement.PNG

Starting with a Scribe function.png

Edited by BaranD

Hi Baran,

I answered your email to our support system that should answer this question but I want to elaborate here incase someone else is having this issue. The Scribe functions are only going to be available inside a calculation. This is why is it showing up in the IF statement in your first screen shot. In the second screen shot, FileMaker is searching through its list of script steps but the Scribe functions are registered in FileMaker as external functions and thus will not show up in that list. Typically, the way to call a Scribe function in a script is to use a Set Variable script step and then set the value of the variable to a Scribe function like so : Set Variable[$load : Value: ScribeDocLoad(FIELDREFERENCEORFILEPATH)]. This will run the function and set the value of the variable to the return of the function.  In this case it returns a "1" for success or "ERROR' if there was an error.  This is helpful for error checking so you can follow the Set Variable script step with an If/Else statement that checks the value of the variable for "ERROR" and then handles it how you see fit.  It is also common to use a Set Field script step or an IF statement to call function but can be done in any calculation dialog.

This topic is 2727 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.