Allowed by field value

rob

This topic is 3492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was just reading here http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/28989-best-calculation-for-custom-record-privileges/

Steven says be careful about people being able to change this data.  Here is my situation please if someone could help

I have a table called Users with a field called Type.  This means they can only change records which also have this Type field in them.  But when I go to set up their privilege set, the calculation box is throwing me.

If(User::Type = Sales Orders::Type)

but how will the calculation know which user I am referencing?  All I can think to do is put the person's type into a global variable when they log in and then calculation would be If($$userType = Sales Orders::Type)

Is this right or does that open up problems?  If $$userType is global, is it insecure?  Or is there other way of doing what I need.  Thank you.

Oh and I meant to say that the users table is only allowed to even see by our owner and me of course so nobody could change the type.

There are two possible solutions here:

1. Define a relationship between the two tables, using an unstored calculation filed in the Sales Orders table =

Get (AccountName)  

to match a stored AccountName field in the Users table. This way (and only this way) will the calculation know which record in Users to look into.

Of course, you will need to repeat this for every table where you want to consult the user's record, so it might be more convenient to:

2. Populate a global field with the current user's type. Note I said a global field, not a global variable. And you must be "careful about people being able to change this data" - IOW, define this field in the Users table to which no one has access.

Can I set a global field in another file?  It looks like it works but that might just be because I am the only one I can see anyway so my view of the universe is limited and I am not network or anything.

Well of course it works.  I was not thinking.  I get confused when in the data viewer.  Does the WATCH only ever be something I see?  For example, if I am watching fields in a file and I give that file to someone else and they have advanced and open the data viewer, do they see what I have in my WATCH list?  

This topic is 3492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.