making a university database

muskee

This topic is 2855 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone!

I'm making a database for a small university in which I work in . It seems really simple to make with FM until I think about the courses and their prerequisites . I 'm not sure how to make this database having in mind this task , the rest shouldn't be a problem .

Looking around the web I found a database model with exactly what I need:

Bqe0a.png

According to this I see that prerequisite is related to itself, how do I get this to work in filemaker pro? How can I make a course available only if the prerequisite has been coursed before?

30 minutes ago, muskee said:

I see that prerequisite is related to itself

I believe it's actually Course that's related to itself, through Prerequisite serving as a join table. Implementing this in Filemaker, you could probably simplify it by making Prerequisites a checkbox field in the Courses table.

30 minutes ago, muskee said:

How can I make a course available only if the prerequisite has been coursed before?

That depends on where and how you want to make a course "available". In general, you would use the FilterValues() function to compare a list of prerequisites with the list of courses the student has already taken (and passed!).

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, comment said:

I believe it's actually Course that's related to itself, through Prerequisite serving as a join table. Implementing this in Filemaker, you could probably simplify it by making Prerequisites a checkbox field in the Courses table.

That depends on where and how you want to make a course "available". In general, you would use the FilterValues() function to compare a list of prerequisites with the list of courses the student has already taken (and passed!).

thanks for your reply!
Do you dispose of any example using the FilterValues() function? I've never had to use it before >_<

Consider:

Let ( [ 
required = List ( "002" ; "003" ; "004" ) ;
passed = List ( "001" ; "002" ; "003" ; "004"  ; "005" ) 
] ;
ValueCount ( FilterValues ( required ; passed ) ) = ValueCount ( required )
)

returns 1 (true).

Let ( [ 
required = List ( "002" ; "003" ; "004" ) ;
passed = List ( "001" ; "003" ; "004" ; "005" ) 
] ;
ValueCount ( FilterValues ( required ; passed ) ) = ValueCount ( required )
)

returns 0 (false).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, muskee said:

sooo, that should be the hide object when condition?

That depends on your workflow. I would use it first and foremost to validate an Enrollment record - but you can certainly use it for your user interface too.

• Like 1

This topic is 2855 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.