Server Maintenance This Week. ×

extracting data based on field content then executing a script

This topic is 2822 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

This question likely spans multiple discussion areas (finding/calculations/script) but I thought this would be the place to start (mods, please move if appropriate).

First issue, I'm attempting to extract some data from a text string in a field. The initial field which contains the text strings is a value list; the value list 

contains 3 choices: "x is your vacation time", "y is your vacation time", "indefinite". The user chooses

the appropriate value.  I'd like to have a function/calculation to determine if the value list field choice contains

either "x" ,  "y" or the word "indefinite" . My initial quandary is if getting the desired result is best achieved through an if statement, case statement or another method.

(2nd issue- once the result has been returned, creating a script to copy the result into the other field -I'm imagining a set field- but I can try tackling that once the first problem

is resolved).

Your guidance/thoughts would be appreciated.

Jack

37 minutes ago, skingjack2 said:

My initial quandary is if getting the desired result is best achieved through an if statement, case statement or another method.

That depends on what exactly you want to do with the desired result. If - for example - you want to use it in order to determine the contents of another field, then you would most likely want to use the Case() function, e.g.=

Let (
w = LeftWords ( Textfield ; 1 )
;
Case (
w = "x" ; "A" ;
w = "y" ; "B" ;
w = "indefinite" ; "C"
)
)

This could be used directly as the formula of a calculation field.

--
P.S. One could argue that the three values -  "x is your vacation time", "y is your vacation time", "indefinite" -  are not members of the same domain, and should not be entered as interchangeable selections into a single field.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is 2822 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.