Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Local clients slowed when remote users connected

This topic is 2828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I seem to have an issue where local users experience a huge performance drop when remote users are connected. Is there anything I can do to limit this problem?

server is 13 on a macmini 16gb ram. Just a couple years old. Everyone is on macs

If it is not turned on, turn on the FMS stats.log.  That will tell you exactly what is going on.

How many local users and how many remote users?

What model of the Mac Mini?  The amount of RAM is usually inconsequential these days, the processing power and the disk i/o is a lot more crucial.

I agree with Wim, and I would also point out the obvious, that a Mac mini is a fairly low-performance Mac, designed for light duties when it comes to disk access speeds (unless you have a flash based Mac mini of course, not recommended due to the limited service life of flash memory).

You may get more mileage from the Mac mini by connecting a fast Thunderbolt RAID drive to the Mac, you'll have a 10Mbit/sec or 20Mbit/sec connection there depending on model and it should be significantly faster than the 5400-rpm hard disks that shipped in those Macs.

You would need to relocate your database folder onto that drive in order to see any benefit.

Edited by rwoods

This topic is 2828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.