Note pane doesn't work anymore after changing theme.

This topic is 2782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi fellow FMSPers,

Can anyone help me on this?

I changed the theme of the original template to wave and everything works fine except for the note pane in the contact segment. I can only add but not able to click on individual note to read them.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Lesster

Hi Lesster, what temple file did you start with? I looked at the FMP15 'Contacts' starter solution, but there is no 'click on a individual note to read them' functionality in the original as far as I could see?

• Like 1

Hi Lesster,

You are in the FM Starting Point Forum... so you came to the right place.  Please keep in mind... for faster answers, email [email protected]

Answer:  I am not sure what you broke.  I would download a fresh copy of FMSP... from www.fmstartingpoint.com... ands then check to to see how the script fires... to bring up the latest note.   There is a button there... and it must not be working with your new solution.

If you have Pro Advanced... watch this work correct with the Script Debugger... and then go to your broke file... and try to do the same thing.   There should be a difference between the two.

Thanks,
Richard Carlton

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lesster said:

I can only add but not able to click on individual note to read them.

Hi Lesster,

I have downloaded a recently copy of FMSP and changed to Wave theme.  What I notice is that the transparent rectangle placed over the Notes portal row turns to gradient so you cannot see the text beneath but clicking a row still switches detail for display to the right.  Is this what you mean that you can't read them ... that the portal fields disappear?

If so, select the top ( arranged ) button and change its style to fill of none and see what happens.  If this is NOT what you experience then we'll need further information as indicated by Richard.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2016 at 8:55 PM, Lesster said:

I must had broke or twisted some nerves somewhere somehow.

Just so you know, Lesster ... you didn't break or twist anything.  When you switched themes from RCC Minimalist Mouse to Wave, the button on top of the portal changed from being transparent to being gradient.  It changed because the style was Hybrid Portal Button and Wave had no similar button style to use so it reverted to its default button style of gradient.  You can select that button on the row and read the style names to see what I mean.

I bring this up because, if you use Wave theme elsewhere, the same thing can happen (buttons changing from transparent to gradient) so if used on other portal rows, they could appear broken as well.  You should also be made aware that FMI is deprecating Wave theme.  See here: Deprecated features in 15

You could save the Wave theme as custom and then import that theme into newer files as you create them, so FMI deprecating Wave isn't a total loss for you.  But you cannot import Wave itself so you must create a custom theme first.   Wave also would lack some optimization that exists in the newer themes, e.g., newer themes use less gradient objects (which render more slowly over WAN than flat).

So back to the portal row button ... I would make that button transparent and then save it as a new style (maybe call it Hybrid Portal Button) and then save the theme.  In this way, if that button is used on other portals, you can respecify them to Hybrid Portal Button.

Edited by LaRetta
Changed wording in last sentence for clarity.
  • Like 1

Hi LaRetta,

Thanks for you reply.

I will try and figure out what you are trying to explain. What I did was just to arrange the gradient backwards and have the rest move forward. On the arrange button, I am not sure how to make the button "transparent". Please forgive my poor knowledge of working around the screen.

Regards,

Lesster

Hi Lesster,

Transparency has nothing to do with Arrange.  Transparency is the fill of an object, as specified in the Inspector, Appearance tab under 'graphic.'  If you select that rectangle (button) and change its fill to 'none', it will be transparent AND you can leave it on top of the row instead of sending it to the back.

Now having explained transparency, if you re-read what I explained, it will probably make a lot of sense.  And it is a basic understanding about FileMaker which is good for you to know.  You might wish to contact Richard about some basic training - they have many ways to help you get up to speed on FileMaker.

All the people on these forums are here to help as well.  :-)

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your invaluable advice, LaRetta. Yes. I have gotten it right this time round. I went to the inspector and changed it from gradient to none. It is working now.

I had purchased the 40 hours online training and I am working on it whenever I get some free time.

By the way, do you think you can teach me on how can i incorporate containers into the expense segment? I would like to have those that are found in the "Contact" segment where I can drag and save files. I was thinking of dragging and saving receipts whenever I enter an expense.

Once again, thank you so much for your willingness to assist me.

God bless,

Lesster

I'm short on time right now.  You might wish to contact Richard Carlton at email [email protected] and they can assist you far better than I, since this program is their baby.  

You can also research both Google, here on FMForums, and even YouTube for specific functionality and get it done yourself ( such as this current question).  The best route would depend upon how much time/money you wish to invest.  There are also many great developers on the various forums you may wish to contact.  But RCConsulting has provided the community a good program free of charge so it is nice to give back to them as well.

Also feel free to post your question, with ( hopefully ) a sample file showing what you want, and let folks here assist you.  When I have the time, I will always try to provide assistance.  Review the various forums and you'll see there is a wealth of information; just post in the one most closely to your need.  Moderators can move it if in the wrong forum; no problem there.  

And again, welcome to FMForums! :-)

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 2782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.