Multiple values in a single field, how to get the highest

This topic is 2876 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The Max function is not behaving as I expected. What I have is a "month" field that is number field. It accepts multiple values using checkboxes in the layout.

But I have a script in which I want to take only the latest (highest number) from that field, assign to a variable and do stuff with it.

But if the field has, say, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 in it, Max gives me 123456789 rather than 9.

So how can I consistently get the high number out of there?

I've played with GetValue a bit, but that solution is a bit fragile, because the user could select the month number checkboxes in any order... meaning the highest is not always in a particular location in the series.

I haven't done much with multivalue fields before this so... I'm probably just missing a concept or two.

(I'm in FMP advanced 14)

This is not a trivial problem. The Max() function is behaving as expected; it is designed to process values in multiple fields or multiple related records or multiple repetitions of a repeating field - not a list of return-separated values.

Here's one way you could solve it =

Let ( [
countValues = ValueCount ( YourCheckboxField ) ;
sortedValues = FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "YourValueList" ) ; Months )
] ;
GetValue ( sortedValues ; countValues )
)

Note that this does not really get the highest value in the checkbox field; it gets the last value, in the order of the value list - but we assume here that your value list lists the months in ascending order.

1 hour ago, aharown07 said:

What I have is a "month" field that is number field. It accepts multiple values using checkboxes in the layout.

If it accepts multiple months, then it needs to be a Text field.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Thanks. I believe your value list approach will do the job in a pretty bulletproof way. Only changing the value list could break it.

FM should edit the help documents a bit on the Max function. It reads 'Returns the highest valid value in a field.'

This is not really quite what it does.... maybe "Returns the highest valid value among a set of fields" or something...

All the examples are multiple field scenarios, but I was hoping the single-field-multiple-values scenario might have simply been omitted for brevity or maybe was too simple to need examples. Alas...

Anyway, thanks.

Edited by aharown07

This topic is 2876 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.