Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

SubSummary calculations to fields

This topic is 2904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a food inventory database that has a month-end final report food-type category as it relates to how they are expensed in my accounting system e.g. Food 5001, Beverage 5002, Vending 5010, etc, etc. There are 12 expense categories altogether accessed by a Popup Menu. 

The month-end report has a Sub Summary field “CategorySubtotal” that provides a department total value based on a sort by the Category food-type field.

Works very well as a printed report however, once my chef confirms that the report is an official end of month reporting of his inventory I am having a hard time determining how to save each of those sub summary amounts to variables for the purpose saving to another table.   The table is then used to develop month-end food cost and asset adjustments.

I am a chef business owner and totally into FileMaker, though this one has me stumped!  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Chef Roy

inventory.jpg

inventory.jpg

Edited by Chef Roy
To highlite headings

6 hours ago, Chef Roy said:

how to save each of those sub summary amounts to variables for the purpose saving to another table.

Do a search for a technique known as Fast Summaries.

Another option is to define a calculation field as =

GetSummary ( sTotalCost ; Category )

then export the data grouped by Category.

Sorry, may have misrepresented what I was looking for, unless I just cannot seem to fathom it out.  The Fast Summaries as I understand them relate to extracting counts based on a search criterion, but all I need are the individual SubSummary headings and their subtotals (highlighted above) saved to either a variable or field for further processing.   

5 minutes ago, Chef Roy said:

The Fast Summaries as I understand them relate to extracting counts based on a search criterion,

No, the technique is designed to go over any sorted found set and get the sub-summary values (the numbers in red in your screenshot).

This topic is 2904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.