Resizing fields/parts to eliminate whitespace in printout

PaulOlivetti

This topic is 2763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

First time posting here.  Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a layout with an inch margin on the left and an inch margin on the top. 

I'm trying to get Filemaker to print the text from one record, then the text from the next record,then a third, etc... 

I have the field resizing ok I think.  But in the printout I can't make the space from the margins go away.  

I've attached a database for you to check out if you're interested.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Database for help.fmp12

Database for help (printout of results).pdf

Edited by PaulOlivetti

We need account and password for your file.  And I can't tell from your pdf what your layout looks like in layout mode.  But, in addition to setting ALL OBJECTS in the parts to slide, you must also check 'also reduce enclosing parts' for it to work AND then be in preview mode.

If that doesn't help you, please provide your account/password and we can take a closer look.  :-)

• Like 1

• Newbies
1 minute ago, LaRetta said:

We need account and password for your file.  And I can't tell from your pdf what your layout looks like in layout mode.  But, in addition to setting ALL OBJECTS in the parts to slide, you must also check 'also reduce enclosing parts' for it to work AND then be in preview mode.

If that doesn't help you, please provide your account/password and we can take a closer look.  :-)

Oh you should be able to get in as "Guest", no?  Is that not working?

2 minutes ago, LaRetta said:

And I think I did all that stuff.  I'd like to get an 8.5x11 page with margins out of the data in individual records.  The only thing that sort of worked was making the field extend way off the bottom of the page (since if the data in the field is bigger than the field, it screws everything up on preview/printout...)

• Newbies
18 minutes ago, LaRetta said:

For it to slide, there must not be any white space in the body before or after the draft field.  Try this (attached).

Database for helpREV.fmp12

To explain further, white space between fields will not slide - only field size.

Thanks!  I'll try it.

Works great, thanks!

One thing - when the text extends below the field, it disappears. (Notice the numbers after 54 are gone) Is there any way to get that onto a new page so that there can be as much data as necessary in a field?  From one sentence to several paragraphs?

(see the attached file)

Database for help v2.fmp12

Edited by PaulOlivetti

FileMaker only allows fields ( and their parts ) to shrink never expand so you need to make the field the maximum it would ever possibly hold.  If you change the body height to 1000 pt and then resize that field to, say 1,000 pt in height as well then you will see it continues on the next page.  

• Newbies
15 minutes ago, LaRetta said:

FileMaker only allows fields ( and their parts ) to shrink never expand so you need to make the field the maximum it would ever possibly hold.  If you change the body height to 1000 pt and then resize that field to, say 1,000 pt in height as well then you will see it continues on the next page.  

Thanks!

This topic is 2763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.