Transparency and overlapping fields

This topic is 8002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I currently use a set of overlapping fields for the description display in an invoice file. The top field is t_Description- a text field that the user can type into. The bottom field is c_Description=

if(is empty(t_Description), t_Make & " " & t_Model..., t_Description)

and the user is not allowed to enter the field.

This works great- the user can leave the auto entered description, or type in their own wording (also formatted the field as a button setting t_Description to c_Description so they have the original text to start with...)

My problem is that when the user is in browse mode and clicks on any field, all enterable fields on the layout are highlighted with that little dotted line. this never bothered me before, but now it seems to bring t_description to the front (which is blank by default), obscuring the c_description text untill all fields are exited (by clicking somewhere on the record that is not a field).

I have tried playing with the transparency settings of both fields, as well as moving their positions in the layer, but still encounter the problem. What is most frustrating, is that I use a similiar design in a different layout (but with number field), and there is no problem.

Any suggestions on what I am missing?

Thanks!

You need to flip the two fields. The unenterable calculation should be on top, with the enterable field beneath it. You will not be able to shop the calc field from being hidden, but it will just get in the way of the user's data entry anyway. But unless the user actually clicks in that field it will always be displayed.

Thanks for the reply Kurt,

I have tried putting the unenterable field on top (using bring to front), but still same problem

I am a bit confused by "You will not be able to shop the calc field from being hidden,...But unless the user actually clicks in that field it will always be displayed. "

Do you mean that it will be hiiden only when clicking on the field underneath, or when any field is entered?

Anything else might be causing the problem?

This topic is 8002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.