This topic is 2611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

As I am trying to understand why my screen "Blinks" or "Temporarily" displays a working layout I navigated within scripts.

I have read Filemaker's screen "Freeze/Refresh" window definition.

"Wisdom please ...

According to Filemaker, Filemaker refreshes the screen after "a" script terminates.  This is what I read.

However, I am calling 5 additional scripts within a script I call. 

So now what.  I've placed a "Freeze Window" script step within and at the top of each script as well as a "Freeze Window" between each script I am calling to try and "Re-Freeze" the window that "Filemaker" just Refreshed however I am unsuccessful is doing this since my screen still "Blinks" or "Temporarily" displays the working layout I navigate to as the scripts are called. Very frustrating.

The only solution I see available to me at the moment is to write the script with "NO" script calls within the script and just have a "Freeze Window" at the top of my new script.

Any suggestions how I can "FORCE" Filemaker to stop screen refresh until I say "Refresh" ?

Thank you.

Edited by Mr. Ignoramus

There are several actions that force FM to redraw the screen. Basically anything that affects the window: Resize, Move, Refresh, New Window ( or GTRR with a new window ) etc. Also, a Pause in a script will cause the window to redraw. I vaguely remember certain scenarios where a Web Viewer would cause a refresh. ( though if you are just processing data, just use developer only layouts )

Josh,

Yes I do this.  I call these layout "Working Layout Do Not Delete" and they have "Black" headers and these are the layouts my customers ask me about every now an then ... Tom what is this "Black" layouts .. I can not keep say it's your slow internet ... hahaha.

So, I am trying to understand how to "STOP" if at all possible this refresh.  Other than go into a re-write for this script that call 5 other scripts.  

Is there a way to "FORCE" filemaker "NOT" to refresh until I say so ?

Thank you.

Other than removing anything that causes it to redraw...no. I've seen screen refreshes happen when there is a long delay over the WAN. But some of that is that we weren't using Freeze Window. If the screen is refreshing, there is something telling it to. If you want to post the text of your script, or send it back-channel, would be happen to gaze upon them and see if anything jumps out.

...just to clarify. Running another script should not in it self cause a refresh.

Wim Decorte,

When you say "Processing off-screen..." are you saying "Perform on Server" ??

Looks like I had a "Refresh" towards the end of one of the scripts I was calling ... oops!  Evidently not paying attentions, sorry.

Edited by Mr. Ignoramus

Wim was referring to moving the window where you process the data, off-screen. Move Window [ Top: -5000 ; Left: -5000 ].

• Go to a layout that just shows "Processing"
  • Open the new window off-screen
  • Do you data processing. The original window never changes. 
  • Once finished close the data processing window.
  • Change the main window back to the desired layout.

Josh,

Let me try this.

I have been trying to get working layouts to a very small size; meaning 1 px for this purpose but Filemaker would never let me get that small.

Never though of entering a negative, can you tell me what this negative tells "Filemaker", just curious because a 1 px by 1 px doesn't work.

Thank you.

This is not the size ( width and height ) of the window...but instead the position ( top and left ) of the window. It places the window outside of the viewable space. The user will never see it.

This topic is 2611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.