Server Maintenance This Week. ×

BUG: Web Viewer uses old version of Internet Explorer

jaboda

This topic is 2591 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using a Web Viewer Control to embed Google Docs content on Windows. Unfortunately Google is reporting that my web browser is out of date and not supported. Tested on FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.3.305.

This is a bug in FileMaker. Here's why:

The FileMaker Web Viewer uses Internet Explorer on Windows. The version is controlled by the FEATURE_BEHAVIORS and FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION keys, which can either be in the HKCU or HKLM in the registry. I am assuming an HKCU value overrides HKLM ones.

On previous verisions (at least FileMaker 11) a registry key could be created in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION which fixed the issue - annoying but manageable.

On FileMaker 15 an entry is created in HKCU automatically when FileMaker is loaded - which forces Internet Explorer 9 to be used. This is no longer supported by Google.

Please note this is irrelevant of what is the default browser, or what browsers are installed. I will report it to FileMaker.

Any ideas/input greatly received.

10 minutes ago, Josh Ormond said:

What version is your Operating System?

Oops good point - I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, with 64 bit FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.

It appears the HKCU entry can be edited, and is not overwritten. Don't quite know why I didn't try this before.

This means that you cannot set it system-wide (in HKLM) but it can be set in the database as required (by running the Reg utility).

It's not ideal, and I still think it's a bug, but at least there's a workaround.

This topic is 2591 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.