Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 16 bottom toolbar

This topic is 2529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm old and I fear change...

Is there any way to get the bottom toolbar back in FM16? I used it ALL THE TIME to change layout modes, change zoom level, and turn the top ribbon on and off.

In fact, I have one solution that I couldn't edit at all in FM16 because there was no way to access the menus. I ended up going back to FM15 and telling it that when my account logged in to turn the menus back on so that I could work with the file. I used to just log in, click the icon to turn the top ribbon on, and then switch to standard menus as needed.

Also, my Alt-tab functionality is pretty much ruined now that each window shows up separately. I also don't like that the window order in the window list re-sorts with the current window at the top. My OCD is going mental today...

But it is all worth it to have the old behavior (don't even remember the version) back where selecting multiple objects shows you the position of the group without having to actually group and ungroup them! lol.

But anyway, is there an option I can't find that would turn that bottom toolbar back on?

Nope, it's gone. You could create your own buttons, or use the keyboard shortcuts. Also, since you have Advanced, you should be able to select the standard FileMaker menus from the Tools menu if that was your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can see once you turn off the menus there is no way to get them back, even with Advanced. I have no buttons because for most instances where this is an issue there are no buttons, no menus, no navigation. I used to hit the bottom toolbar menu to bring them back.

If you were able previously to click the icon to toggle the status toolbar (not the menu bar, that's separate), that would mean the toolbar isn't locked. In which case the keyboard shortcut (ctrl-alt-s) should toggle it now. Does the keyboard shortcut work in 15 for you? If not, maybe you have some other software conflicting. In my office we have this ridiculous Intel graphics driver that by default includes keyboard shortcuts to rotate the screen (wtf?!), and conflicts with some FileMaker shortcuts.

Does it work in 15? Are you saying the toggle button works but the keyboard shortcut doesn't? Inconceivable.

What is that word you keep using? I do not think it means what you think it means. lol.

That's exactly what I'm saying. FM 15 works just fine. ctrl-alt-s doesn't work in 15 either but I hit the toggle button and wa-bam. I think the difference is that I see the menus in 15 but I do not see them in 16.

I'm kind of not liking 16 but when FileMaker gives you lemons at least it isn't MS Access...

As suggested in Fitch's first Reply, why not create a Button Bar for these tools? I made a quick example file using the Bottom Navigation Part and a Button Bar that may help you salve you need.

Bottom Navigation Buttons.fmp12

I should also add that the icons are by inDats Icon Manager. thank you inDats.

Edited by Lee Smith
Add a thinks for inDats

It ends up being extra work either way. Either I modify the login scripts to recognize me and put the menus back or I add a special button bar and hide it for everyone but me. All because of a new "feature". They should have just left it alone but apparently forgot to consult me.

Hi Cable,

The FM Forums is not part of FileMaker Inc., and no one here works for FileMaker Inc. Our members are all volunteers donating their time, knowledge and skills to help other members overcome things they run across when developing files.

To continue to express your frustration to us about this change isn't going to accomplish anything. You need to take this up with FileMaker Inc. 

Lee

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cable said:

ctrl-alt-s does nothing on the screen in question. I don't think shortcuts work if the menu is off.

In fact the shortcut does work if the menu is off. I think maybe I see what's going on -- you have a custom menu that doesn't include the Status Toolbar command in the View menu. So if you hide menus, there's no way to toggle it back on. That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense. If that's the case, it will be a very simple thing to fix, just make sure Status Toolbar is included in your custom menu.

Ok, yes, you're right. That put me onto the (clunky) solution for me. I already have a keybaord shortcut set to switch from the custom menu to the standard one. If I do that keyboard shortcut first, then the ctrl-alt-s works. Not as easy as just clicking one button as before but it will work, thanks!

Frankly I'm surprised that the toolbar toggle button worked before, when the command wasn't in the menu set, since that's what happens to the icons in the toolbar -- they'll be dimmed out if the command isn't in the menus. Anyhow, glad you have a solution.

This topic is 2529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.