Need advice -- one man, one database

This topic is 2521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have a FM7 database (Mac) that I developed for myself to manage a small apt rental biz.  I just upgraded my Mac and now need to repurchase FM.  At the same time, I'd like to add remote use so that I can manage things when I'm away (without taking the Mac), but don't want to add in significant annual costs since most use is at home. 

Seems to me there are three basic options:  

1) Put it on a server, and always use the server for everything.  No local copy.

2) Keep it on my Mac, and put a copy on a server.  

3) Keep it on my Mac, and put a copy on a device using FM Go. 

Seems the whole hosting solution got complicated, and costs/issues are not at all clear.  For (1), once upon a time, you could just have any site host a FM database, but now it's only AWS?  Can I still buy FM14 and therefore have it hosted more simply/cheaply?  For (2), can they sync automagically?  For (3), do I need to recopy the database to/from the device to sync?  Also, is FM Go stable?  Nothing but questions.

In essence, I'm looking for advice on the best solution -- lowest cost/hassle.  This is not a big database but it does use scripts (mainly to automatically construct emails).  And again, I'm the only user.

I'd really appreciate guidance.  Thanks in advance!

Or, buy a FileMaker Server Development License (US$99), which includes FM Pro, server and webdirect licenses. Then install the server on your Mac, and access the DB via the server from Pro on the Mac and Go on the mobile device.

You can still host your FMS anywhere you like, but you'll need to find a provider that either has Mac or Windows servers available. Not too sure if there are any Mac providers out there, as Apple doesn't seem to make server hardware (ie rack mountable), but there are heaps of Windows providers out there. It'll be much more expensive than hosting it at home though.

38 minutes ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

buy a FileMaker Server Development License (US$99), which includes FM Pro, server and webdirect licenses.

AFAIK this is a test-only license and you are not allowed to use it in production.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:00 PM, bttab said:

I'd like to add remote use so that I can manage things when I'm away (without taking the Mac),

If you're not taking the Mac with you, then what device do you expect to use for the remote access? If it's not a computer with FMP installed on it, then your only options are WebDirect or FM Go.

This topic is 2521 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.