123    1

Hey,

I started working with FileMaker a while ago and so far it's been pretty fun and fairly easy to learn because I worked with MySQL in the past. However, there are still a few questions I have. I'm used to having complete freedom when it comes to databases, because in Python or C++ for instance I would simply write my own queries and get whatever data I need, no matter if a database is related to another or not. Anyway, the flexibility is still what causes me some problems. I have the following problem.

I'm working on an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software for the owner of several restaurants. I need to have the following tables to start with:

• Restaurants
  • Employees
  • Jobs
  • Visa
  • Health Insurances
  • Meetings

Now, the person using the solution needs to be able to create as many restaurants, employees, jobs and meetings as they want and assign them to each other. For instance, Restaurant A is going to have 5 employees, Employee A, B, C, D, E and so on, and all these employees will have one or multiple (this is really important) jobs assigned to them. This process has to be flexible, so I can assign an employee to whichever restaurant and job I choose. You also need to be able to assign one or more visa to a job (and the assigned employee), the same goes for one or more health insurances. The next problem is about meetings. Each restaurant needs to be able to have meetings every once in while, which need the ability to keep track of employees that attend the meeting. So you should be able to select employees form a portal or card window (in FM16 for instance) and they will be added to another table MeetingAttendees or something similar. Again, this needs to be flexible so every restaurant can create meetings and check which employee is present. (I need to be able to create a layout to display the meetings and who has been present, if possible also to see who wasn't).

Normally I would simply take the IDs and create tables that join these iDs together, however I'm not able to recreate this in FileMaker, if one relationship works, the other breaks for some reason. If anyone could give me a simple layout of what my database needs to look like, or if possible and not too much to ask an example in FileMaker. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2 hours ago, 123 said:

Normally I would simply take the IDs and create tables that join these iDs together, however I'm not able to recreate this in FileMaker, if one relationship works, the other breaks for some reason

I think you may be confusing Tables with Table Occurrences.  You  can have multiple table occurrences to create the relationships you need to accomplish your task.  

I don't have a complete idea of how I would set up the DB, but some thoughts.

Restaurants can be a table.

Employees a table.

But I may put an Assignments Join table between them, so while an employee is at one restaurant, you can see his assignments.  I also have to assume assignments should have a start and end date. For reporting you can then pull up an employee and see his assignment history, and where he is currently assigned.

For meetings, the relationships get a little more interesting.  Do you need to only pick employees who are currently assigned to a restaurant when the meeting occurs, or any employee in the employee pool can attend any meeting at any restaurant at any time.  Meetings would be their own table where your assign the restaurant to the meeting (date time etc.), and employees based on the above mentioned criteria.  And here is where you could use another table occurrence for a value list or picker list that will only show the employees assigned, once the restaurant is chosen.

As you are aware, it's probably most important to completely (or what you think is completely) nail down the relationships on paper before you start building to avoid the scenario of going too far in the wrong direction and wasting time starting over.

ggt667    8

FileMaker lingo = unix / SQL lingo

---

table = table

table occurance = table as seen in a specific query

layout = view AND / OR CUBE

valuelist = sort | uniq as in ORDER BY

relationship = part of query AND / OR CUBE

7 hours ago, 123 said:

Now, the person using the solution needs to be able to create as many restaurants, employees, jobs and meetings as they want and assign them to each other. For instance, Restaurant A is going to have 5 employees, Employee A, B, C, D, E and so on, and all these employees will have one or multiple (this is really important) jobs assigned to them. This process has to be flexible, so I can assign an employee to whichever restaurant and job I choose. You also need to be able to assign one or more visa to a job (and the assigned employee), the same goes for one or more health insurances. The next problem is about meetings. Each restaurant needs to be able to have meetings every once in while, which need the ability to keep track of employees that attend the meeting. So you should be able to select employees form a portal or card window (in FM16 for instance) and they will be added to another table MeetingAttendees or something similar. Again, this needs to be flexible so every restaurant can create meetings and check which employee is present. (I need to be able to create a layout to display the meetings and who has been present, if possible also to see who wasn't).

Normally I would simply take the IDs and create tables that join these iDs together, however I'm not able to recreate this in FileMaker, if one relationship works, the other breaks for some reason. If anyone could give me a simple layout of what my database needs to look like, or if possible and not too much to ask an example in FileMaker. Your help is much appreciated

You will add a record through a relationship aka related record, in Filemaker there is no need to fiddle with the keys and related keys, you just need to add a record in a related table through a relationship; possibly via a portal.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By troi
      Encryption plug-in adds new script steps and online help for FileMaker Pro 16.

Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands, August 15, 2017–Troi today announced the immediate availability of Troi Encryptor Plug-in 4.0 for FileMaker Pro 16.

What is Troi Encryptor Plug-in?

Troi Encryptor Plug-in is a very powerful tool for securing your FileMaker data, exporting or emailing your data without risk and importing safely back into FileMaker. All from within FileMaker you can:

- encrypt text or container fields, using the powerful 256-bit AES encryption scheme, so that your sensitive data is secure
      - export encrypted data that can be sent safely across internet, for example via email. No risk that someone will read or change the data while in transit
      - use the decryption functions to restore the original information after you have imported the received email or export file back into FileMaker, with the assurance that nobody will have tampered with it
      - exchange AES-encrypted data with other systems (like for example PHP-mcrypt)
      - verify data integrity and sources with SHA-1 message digests
      - encode text in Base64
      - make conversions to and from binary
      - compress databases with large text fields
      - save and retrieve passwords to and from the keychain of the operating system

What is new in version 4.0?

We rewrote Troi Encryptor Plug-in for FileMaker 16 and it now has the following new functionality:

- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
      - Fixed several bugs, rewrote and modernized the code in several places and made further improvements.
      - Updated the User Guide and the Reference.fmp12 file.
      - Made various minor changes to the example files to better work with FileMaker Pro 16.
      - Updated the code by adding improved namespace handling to make the plug-in more robust.

Extra features when running FileMaker Pro 16

Version 4.0 adds the following new features when running in FileMaker 16:

- The Encryptor Plug-in adds multiple script steps when running in FileMaker Pro 16. You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears. The script steps expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that just manipulate data and have no side effect (like for example Encr_EncryptRijndaelAES) are only available as an external function.
      The following three script steps are added:
         - Save Password to Keychain
         - Get Password from Keychain
         - Delete Password from Keychain
      - Added new scripts to the EncryptAES example file, which demonstrate how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16. The examples check if FileMaker Pro 16 is running and will select these new scripts.
      - Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.

Apart from these additions we fixed several bugs and made various further improvements. More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi Encryptor Plug-in 4.0 can be found at: https://www.troi.com/products/encryptorplugin/

Pricing & Availability

A fully functional demo version of Troi Encryptor Plug-in 4.0 is available for downloading at: https://www.troi.com/products/encryptorplugin/

Licenses cost US$ 79 per user. Details on developer licenses and multi-user discounts can be found on our web site. You can order licenses from our web site.

Upgrade information

Version 4.0 needs a new registration. The upgrade is free for users who bought a license for Troi Encryptor Plug-in on or after July 5, 2016. Eligible users will be sent a new registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after August 18, 2017.

Upgrades from licenses bought before July 5, 2016 are available from US$ 39 per user. Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on our web site. You can order upgrades from our web site.
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a question about hosting my filemaker database. If I buy a license for 5 people form here: https://store.filemaker.com/filemaker-cloud , will I also need to purchase 5 normal FileMaker 16 Pro Client licenses so people can actually connect to the database? I don't quite understand how this works yet, maybe someone can help me out. Do I get the client licenses with the purchase of a server license? I need 5 people to be able to access it. Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have the following problem. I'm working on a solution for the owner of several restaurants. Each restaurant has meetings once or twice a month. How would I structure the tables so that I could have a layout on which I select a restaurant and then inside a portal I get a list of all employees. On the portal for each row I want to have a button or checkbox to mark if an employee is present or not.
      I already have the following tables:
      Restaurants, Employees and Meetings
      So far I have a relationship between the Restaurants and Employees table which I use to assign employees to a restaurant, and a relationship between the Meeting and Restaurant table, which allows me to show all employees that work at a selected restaurant using a portal on the meetings layout. How do I proceed to solve my problem? Do I create another table MeetingAttendees or something similar that I use to keep track of people attending a meeting? How would I create a relationship then to allow me to mark certain employees as present and absent?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.