Server Maintenance This Week. ×

making major changes to invoice line items module

This topic is 2492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm still using FM 13 so I'm using version 4.2 of FMSP. I've been using the solution for four years now and I am so grateful for it as it has really helped me organise my small business. I keep adding functionalities as needed and tweaking it to suit my needs as my business grows.

The short version of my question is: What are some issues that could come up if I start messing with the invoice line items module to add and delete fields?

The long version of my question:

The heart of my FMSP is my Projects. Each Project is a month against which I attach related invoices. Some time back, you were very helpful in helping me figure out how to use the Projects module to create a monthly earnings target broken down by how much money I need to earn every day. Now, that business is booming,  I want my Projects module to track some information that will help me decide which projects to contract out and which clients to drop for not being worth my time. The invoice line items module appears to be the best module to convert into my "Orders" module to manage that information.

Right now, I put each order into the "Description" field of the invoices with its billing information. What I want to start doing is to create my orders directly in the invoice line items module by adding some other fields, including client name, due date, due time, time spent for project completion, and a few fields related to subcontracting. I'll then figure out a better way than what currently exists to look up the correct descriptions (ie. orders) and add them to my invoices. I also want to add sorting capability to the module so that I can better prioritise my orders (I can have dozens due on the same day at different times). And I know better than to delete fields I don't use, but I'd like to move some of them (such as user created and modified since it's just me) to the end of the data entry layout out of my way.

The last time I tried to make major changes to FMSP, I really messed it up and had to start over, so if you can point out fields that I shouldn't touch or even a better way of tracking my orders, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you again for this fantastic FM solution.

Rae

Rae, that's a tricky one, though not impossible.  A good database design plug-in is probably the only way to decipher.  You'll have to see every script, script trigger, field, calculation and every report that may be affected.

With or without that, lots of backs up are your friend, so you can roll back to only what is necessary.  From there you can import missing data.

Thanks for that, Steve. Where can I get a "database design plug-in"? (I'm a very basic user of FMP -- only know as much as I need to get around FMSP,  but I'm a quick study.)

Rae,

I believe Steve is talking about a Third-Party Program such as Base Elements or Inspector Pro. These programs allow you to view the information obtained with a Database Design Report (DDR) in a much more user-friendly way.

To create a DDR, you must have FileMaker Pro Advanced, if you don't, these programs will be a lot less useful.

To answer your original question, I would say don't mess with the "ID" fields for sure. I would avoid tampering with calculations unless you know where it is connected in the Invoice Layout, and plan on updating it there as well.(i.e. the "Extended Cost" field feeds into the "Subtotal Cost", which also affects the "Margin".)

As long as you're careful, make backups of your file before doing a major change (i.e. Calculation fields or scripts), and don't break relationships, you should be okay.

RCC does offer "Personal Training" for $75/hr, during which, an RCC engineer will remote in to your computer, and walk you through the process one-on-one to help you learn development, and better understand the product. If you're interested in something like that, or would like some more information, feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thanks!

Jonathan Hogle

Thanks Jonathan. Between you and Steve, I believe have the information I need to tread lightly. I've learned to use a "dummy" file to play with before working with my database and will start there. I wish I could afford support or even to have someone do this for me, but unfortunately my business isn't doing that well.

A way to create invoices from orders tied to projects is something that seems to be missing from this solution. I thought of playing with the "Products" and even "Estimates" modules to turn them into an orders module, but that seemed to be even more work than using the invoice line items. The Estimates was promising because you can turn them into invoices, but that creates one invoice per estimate and I can have several orders on one invoice. Anyway, now I have an idea of how to get to where I want to go. Thanks again for your thoughts.

@RaeCI'm looking at the the latest FMSP, and I noticed on Projects & Estimates, there is a button to make them Invoices.  Is that what you are talking about or does that help?

@Jonathan Hogle  Yes that's what I was talking about...just couldn't remember and I had to go.

Edited by Steve Martino

Yes, I see that button as well and thought, oh, that's a great place to start creating my orders. But each estimate becomes an invoice and I usually need to add multiple orders to one invoice.

Rae,

If I understand what you're trying to accomplish, I would recommend using the Products layout for your orders, since that is what is currently used to create Invoice Line Items anyway.

Just create a new "Product"(Order) in that module, name and price it appropriately, then when you create an invoice, the search function to add a line item will contain your Order you created.

Thanks!

Jonathan Hogle

Wow, I really appreciate the thought going into my question. I also really liked the idea of tweaking the products module, but it populates the wrong field for my needs in invoices. I've been using the description field for years for my orders and have my print layout tweaked for it as well. I don't want to undo four years of invoice history by messing with that. The only thing I can think of that might not be as damaging, since I've never used the product module before, is to start linking it up now with the invoice description field instead of the products field. But I had a look in layout mode and it seems that that all goes back to the invoice line items module, where products are being called upon on the "ID" rather than "products" field. I use the ID field for my clients' order number! I'm not sure where to start to unravel it all and not mess up what I've done so far.

Thanks!

Rae

• 2 weeks later...

Rae.

You can change what information goes where from Products to Invoice Line Items by adjusting the "Lookups"

As far as the ID is concerned, all our relationships are based on the ID fields, I wouldn't recommend changing how they work, or changing their values.

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

This topic is 2492 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.