Sign in to follow this  
wedgeman

Viewing image in separate window, from two different portals

So i'm dealing with two tables.

1.  VisitTable.

2. GraphicsTable

in a VisitTable layout, i have one or two portals related to the GraphicsTable, each related by a different factor.  One portal would be related by a Date field, the other would be a ClientName field..

My desire is to click on a thumbnail in either one of these portals, and have that selected image be displayed in a separate/larger image window (which could be a container field in the current table, Or another portal?  I don't care how - i just need to have it show up) 

I don't know the best method for doing this (ie., click thumbnail to have image fillin a separate location).  In this particular instance, I don't want this to be a separate window, but to display in a container field view on the current window/layout. 

how do I accomplish this?

thx

image.thumb.png.957dca26c99661e3f0d4101a9f5c3369.png

Edited by wedgeman

3 hours ago, wedgeman said:

My desire is to click on a thumbnail in either one of these portals, and have that selected image be displayed in a separate/larger image window

There are several ways you could accomplish this.

One is to set a global container field (which could be in any table) to the image in the clicked portal row.

Here's another one:
https://fmforums.com/topic/71867-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-2view-selected-child/

6 hours ago, comment said:

There are several ways you could accomplish this.

One is to set a global container field (which could be in any table) to the image in the clicked portal row.

Here's another one:
https://fmforums.com/topic/71867-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-2view-selected-child/

Many thanks.  Yes, i was going to do the first (global field), but for some dumb reason I can get the field name, but getting the global container to show the contents (not the name of) the portal row is killing me.

don't know if this is the best (probably not), but i created another relationship by GraphicsTableID to Visits table, used a global container in Visits, and did a set-field on a script trigger...

Edited by wedgeman
solution

6 hours ago, wedgeman said:

for some dumb reason I can get the field name, but getting the global container to show the contents (not the name of) the portal row is killing me.

You're not sharing what you did, so we can't tell what's wrong with it.

It should be simply a button that does:

Set Field [ AnyTable::gContainerfield; GraphicsTO::Imagefield ]

Make sure GraphicsTO is the same table occurrence used by the portal where the button is.

18 minutes ago, comment said:

It should be simply a button that does:

Set Field [ AnyTable::gContainerfield; GraphicsTO::Imagefield ]

Make sure GraphicsTO is the same table occurrence used by the portal where the button is.

ah

the problem is that i don't know how to get the field occurence, i'm guesisng because I have a portal row, not a single image.  i tried a few "get" sequences, but ended up with the field name of the related field showing in the container (ie., the container showed "graphics::imagefield" in the container, but not a picture) -  because I'm suspecting that i didn't figure out how to actually get THAT INSTANCE of the row...

30 minutes ago, comment said:

1 hour ago, wedgeman said:

the problem is that i don't know how to get the field occurence

Since you might click either portal, and the portals are based upon different table occurrences, how do you set a global field with the value within the same script, depending upon two different table occurrences?  And if you use a script attached, you can't identify the 'active field' to GET the activetablename.  Is this where you are stuck?

AND without hard-coding the source table/field name.

Edited by LaRetta

17 hours ago, LaRetta said:

Since you might click either portal, and the portals are based upon different table occurrences, how do you set a global field with the value within the same script, depending upon two different table occurrences?  And if you use a script attached, you can't identify the 'active field' to GET the activetablename.  Is this where you are stuck?

AND without hard-coding the source table/field name.

yes, this was more (or less) where I got stuck..

I did a somewhat 'dirty' work-around.

my workaround was to create 2 separate scripts (for each portal), setting global field, which is the key field for the large image.. Since all images are stored in the same table, the ID# (key field) works...  not elegant.. but it works.and, as this is a freebie project for a charity, i'm rather limited on how much time I can invest further in cleaning it up.. already 2x's as long on this as originally allotted...

thanks for the help.

Edited by wedgeman