How to properly shutdown my server?

This topic is 2446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, i have a ups connected to my server so after 5 minutes when power fails, the server begins  a shut down.  My question is , that programed shutdown will affect my filemaker server databases? Will they get corrupted? 

Power fails here in my country its frequently.

Please let me know 

Thank you

Best practice is to configure your UPS to run a system-level script to properly close your FMS files.  Like with anything: if you rely on the OS to shut down the files, things may go wrong.

thanks for your reply, 

i would like to know how to setup the ups to run a system level script? how the script will look like? 

please let me know 

thank you 

In addition to what Wim has said, be sure you have a very rigorous backup system for your files.  Given the apparent unreliability of the infrastructure where you are, this is vital. 

Always presume that an inelegant close of files has damaged them.  Revert to the last known good backup.

Sorry you have to work in these much less than optimal conditions.

Steven

8 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Best practice is to configure your UPS to run a system-level script to properly close your FMS files.  Like with anything: if you rely on the OS to shut down the files, things may go wrong.

hello Wim i was checking my UPS console and it has an option to insert a command that shutdown aplications before shutting down the operating system 

my question is how to write a command that close the databases in Filemaker Server?? 

i really appreciate your help 

thank you 

596d39ed5cd42_ScreenShot2017-07-17at5_22_04PM.thumb.jpg.6bf61feda71e43677a6ef88be801b6b4.jpg

How to run an OS-level script depends on the UPS software.  The screenshot above would point to something that is not sufficient. You don't want it to run a command before shutting down the OS because that is still a chain of events that you have no control over.  The ideal situation is the ability to run an OS-level script that you can run when the UPS goes on battery power and long before it would even attempt to shut down the machine. 

If the UPS for instance can deliver 15 minutes of battery power you'd set it up so that it closes the FMS files after 5 minutes.  Giving it ample time to disconnect ghost users (unless the users are also on UPS and so are all the network switches, all users will be ghost users to FMS, FMS will try to ping them but they won't respond so FMS will want to wait the usual 2 minutes).

A Google search for 'filemaker server shutdown script' should turn up a few hits on posts I have done in the past with the beginnings of a good VBscript.

This topic is 2446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.