Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find and delete a word in a paragraph

This topic is 2268 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Great!!!

Yes case-sensitive, and the search must be exact because there are other words that contain "home". Let's say I need to remove HOME000009 from the list but leave the rest.

home000005

home000008

HOME000009

Appartment000004

Room0000012

I am afraid this is still not clear enough. You did not mention a list until now. A return-separated list of values is not the same thing as paragraph of words (even if your list contains only single-word values).

Anyway, it sounds like you want to go over a list of values, and remove a value if it contains the string HOME (case-sensitive) - is that correct?

Sorry for not explaining correctly, honestly I thought that for FileMaker a return-separated list was the same thing as a paragraph.

You're right, I need to find a value in a return separated list and delete it from the list.

Hi Gilbert,

20 minutes ago, Gilbert13 said:

I need to find a value in a return separated list and delete it from the list.

Delete what, this home000008, or the word "home" (leaving the 000008)?

Lee

I don't think we can recommend a specific book, there are some variables we don't know, such as your skills. I would recommend that you check out the book stores near you, or go online to 

ecampus.com

Barnes and Noble

Amazon.com

You can download the Sessions Material from DevCons 2017, this session https://community.filemaker.com/docs/8302  has a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ts9P95CbRY&feature=youtu.be that you may find helpful. 

I can recommend some Training Sites that offer sessions on scripting and a lot more.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
fixed the links
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Comment, 

It is possible to modify the script so that will only removes the exact string in gSearchString ?

I have the following numbers in source. Instead of just removing 2 the script also remove 22 when the value in gSearchString is 2

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gilbert,

1. The script furnished by comment was written to isolate the records that started with a specific pattern in front of the numbers.
  2. You don't need a script for a simple find such as the number 2 in a number fields, as long as it is the only number.
  3. By chance are these the remaining numbers that are in your original field? 
  4. Your find request in a number field for 2, should not be returning 22.

Perhaps if you should attached a copy of the file, so we can be sure we provide a script you can plug in to your file.

This post by Ocean West provides info on how to protect your confidential data. Anatomy of a Good Topic

I added a demo of a simple scripted find.

HTH 

Lee

FindNumbers.fmp12

This topic is 2268 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.