Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Pop-up menu to fire related OpenURL value

This topic is 2412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A change of aesthetics in a solution is forcing me to change from a portal to a pop-up menu and I don't know how to re-code the existing script; the portal works fine so I know the relationships are good, just that I don't know how to script a pop-up to pull the URL from a related record then use the OpenURL command.

The related table has two fields, URL__txt (which holds the actual URL) and Value__txt (which has the name for the URL). In the portal at right, a button--made from the Value__txt field--when clicked, uses the OpenURL command to open the URL stored in URL__txt. So far, so good.

The pop-up menu on the left, in the local table, has all the values of Value__txt; I use a global field for temporarily storing Value__txt's value.

Question 1: Should the global field be stored in the local table or in the related table, or does it matter since it's a global field, anyway?

Question 2: I'm attaching a script trigger to the pop-up menu so when a user selects the name for the the URL, it'll fire the script to open the web browser to URL__txt. So, here's the big question: How do I set up the script to do that? Do I use GetValue  and loop it so it compares what's in the global field to what's in Value__txt then when found, it somehow retrieves the URL__txt? That seems like a klunky way of doing things...though it might be the best way of doing things, I don't know.

As always, any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Screen Shot.png

1 hour ago, WF7A said:

A change of aesthetics in a solution is forcing me to change from a portal to a pop-up menu

Couldn't you simply place the portal in a popover and keep the existing functionality?

If you really must go with a popup menu, then define your value list to use values from the URL field, also display values from the Value field, show values only from second field. That way your global field will actually contain the selected URL.

Consider also http://www.briandunning.com/cf/908.

Edited by comment

Thanks. Yeah, I wanted to keep it inside its popover (you can't tell from the screenshot but it's a popover) but what can you do. : S  

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

This topic is 2412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.