Backing up FM Pro without closing

This topic is 2402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Couldn't find a forum specific to backups.

I am moving away from FM Server. Long story. I'm finding out that backups are a challenge with FM Pro since you should never backup an open FM database. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've been trying to find a backup utility that will automatically close a file and then reopen it after backing it up. That would be the ideal solution. Trying to keep from requiring my end users to close and open the database every day. That would be a real pain. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

It's not that hard.  There's no need to close the file.  Filemaker Pro has a command:  "Save a Copy as" which saves a copy of the current file.  It's a script step too.  There are a few options when saving, such as Saving a compacted copy (slightly compressed), and saving a "Clone" (without records).  It has been possible for many versions of Filemaker Pro.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help/save-a-copy-as.html

It's purpose is for Backing up.  The command is available for single user Filemaker Pro (and Advanced) and to Filemaker when acting as the host - in a peer to peer situation.  It's not available to client users (those connected to a host).

Edited by NLR

Thanks! So would I need to add a script that checks the time and then performs a "Save a Copy as" function? I've never added a script function that checks the time. Is that possible? 

I am moving away from FM Server. Long story. I'm finding out that backups are a challenge

That seems like an extremely odd reason to move away from FileMaker Server. Scheduled backups are one of its prime, easiest to use features.

FileMaker Server can make backups for you; including full backups; and clones.

• Like 1

Hi Bruce - I can understand your confusion. You didn't get the rest of my statement. I said "I'm finding out that backups are a challenge with FileMaker Pro". Now that I'm moving my clients over to FM Pro running locally I need a way to do backups since I am no longer running their databases on FM Server. Someone suggested using the script step "Save a Copy as". I'm trying to figure out if you can trigger that using the time of day so it can run automatically overnight.

Thanks! So would I need to add a script that checks the time and then performs a "Save a Copy as" function? I've never added a script function that checks the time. Is that possible? 

No; it is not possible with Pro. You can do it on demand. If you want schedules; you want Server.

I just found the following online . . . 

Could you use these script steps to check the time every hour or two and when the time is in a certain window (say 1:00 to 4:00 am) you would then run the "Save a Copy as" script step?

You could use an onTimer Script step, but it is really not that simple. You may also need to check if there are any open records and if any users have open records, that could cause a hold up. Is your solution shared on the networks at all? If so, then moving away from FM Server is a mistake.

Thanks for the thought about the OS scheduler, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Not sure what that is or what you meant by "call a backup script in your real file". Can you elaborate? Thanks!

This topic is 2402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.