Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker & Responsive Design

Jarvis

This topic is 2394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does Filemaker 16 offer the ability to utilize responsive design?

Is there anyway to create breakpoints within a database so as to have the displayed layout be appropriate for an iPhone, iPad or desktop device?

If this is not possible and I need to create three separate layouts, how does the device know which layout to toggle to?

I

Hi!!  :)

There are a few Get ( ) functions which help identify the device, platform etc.

As for whether to design the layout as multi-device versus new layout, you can do it using one layout but the size of text when on ipad should be 15 or so but on desktop that'd be way too large (for example of some of the differences).  It seems that, unless the layout is very very simple, using different layouts works best.  But you can set the anchor (top only) and the layout will move and rotate so you can do a lot with single layouts.

• Like 1

Hi Jarvis,

I don't see any changes in the tools between the Version 14 and Version 16 for design of the layouts. In layout mode, there is a tool for showing the size of the different screen resolutions, iPad and iPhone.

You might find the Design Sessions at DevCon 2016 helpful. Start with the one by Matt Petrowsky. DES001 - Designing in Tight Spaces: Techniques for Mobile Custom Apps.

Each year FileMaker provides the DevCon Session information and links to most of the Videos. Here is a link to the 2016 Sessions https://community.filemaker.com/community/devcon_2016/session_materials_2016, with links to the session material and the videos.

Lee

Thank you LaRetta!     Once again you have pointed me in the right direction.  

I spent a little time with the GetDevice Function this morning .  I haven't had time to make much progress yet but imagine this has something to do with an IF statement that directs me to the layout I want.  I have been rapidly deploying topic specific solutions for my cabinet shop.  I came up with one last week that tracks material remnants and another one a day or so ago that elegantly assigns priorities to tasks and monitors status.  We run most of this with iPads but I wanted to have it available for iPhones so people could add to the list if they think of something outside the shop.

And thank you too Lee.   I  bookmarked the link to DevCon sessions.  Most of those are way over my head but some of them surprisingly make sense.  I am a cabinetmaker, not a programmer like you guys.

This topic is 2394 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.