Basic question.... Where do I find help on partial word searches?  I've been ...searching.... for a good writeup on FMP search operators that cover this to little avail.

I need a expression that will search, get to a character, and then ignore/wildcard from there.

So a search on "Chicago" will return:

• Chicago
  • Chicago-IL
  • Chicago-001

and so forth.....

Hi,

FM Help covers it quite well here:  Finding records

To find in this example ... enter just chicago

The dash is a word separator but even without a word separator, searching for chicago will also find chicagoian.  What are we missing in understanding your request?

If the example wasn't quite right, and you want to find a word which is WITHIN other text, then you can use the wildcard character as:  *chicago*

Nope, you have it correct; I didn't find anything stating that a dash qualified as a word separator.

I'm afraid that your response didn't help us solve the issue here.  The dash makes no difference - ANY word starting with 'chicago' will have been found.  Are you searching a related table?  We need more information then to help you because searching would work fine in your examples.

I don't know more; I'm the sysadm not the FMP programmer.

As it's set up now, there's a script that finds duplicate nouns. I need it widened beyond exact duplicates to exact+suffix cases. I wanted to first understand the search before going to the programmer.

If the script is searching for EXACT, then it probably begins with == but we can't say for sure without seeing the script.  Find the script, print it to PDF or save as PDF and post it here for us.   However, I would caution about considering a change without speaking with the developer.  There may be good reasons it is finding exact in this instance.  Still, we are happy to take a look for you to help you understand it.  :-)

Don't plan on changing things behind her back..... Just wanted to know what we were getting into.....

I wasn't implying you would do anything 'behind her back' ... I was only properly cautioning you.  We still need to see the script if you wish to know how it would be changed to meet your request, which still isn't quite clear.  :-)

3 hours ago, rmstar said:

I don't know more; I'm the sysadm not the FMP programmer.

Shouldn't you be sitting down with your FMP programmer and discussing what changes you would like them to make?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By bmarcowka
      Hello,
      Noobs here.  I am looking for some assistance that when I select a record on a form I am taken to that record.  Example below.
      I am taking this simplified hypothetical example in the parts table with columns: Finished, Shared1, Shared2, Shared3
       Row 1 values: A, B, C, D
      Row 2  values: B, A, C, D

When Row 1 loads in the layout you sent, say that A appears on the upper right box.  Therefore B,C, D load in the bottom in red

Desired behavior: when B is then clicked, you want it to replace A in the upper right box and have A, C, D appear in the bottom in red.

Thanks in advance,
      Brett

• By Greg Hains
      Good evening.
      Once again I find myself stumbling over something that I think will turn out to be very simple. I seek the help of our Filemaker mentors for assistance.
      I have a table with about 3000 records in it.
      One of the fields is called "Type" and can contain any one of 7 different values"
      Another field is "Gender"  (containing one of there values: Male, Female, Unstated")
      Another field ("Duration") is a numeric value that can be anything from 0 to 300
      I want to Find records whose Gender is male (easy), the numeric value in a range (also easy), but exclude all records whose Type does NOT equal "Assessment". I found that I can Omit the "Assessment" records OK, but then unable to then constrain the set to show just Gender=Male and a Duration value of choice.  After the Omit works, running a Find on the remaining records seems to undo the Omit.  So, I tried the Omit stage after the Find of Gender and Duration - still no luck. It seems that a Find cancels out a previous Omit.
      One cannot do a Find on something that "does not equal" - it has to be an omit process. I am not going to do a Find on the other possible 6 values either - thats not a clean solution.
      I have been unable to find a solution through Googling on the correct procedure and usage of the Find/Omit tools to achieve what needs to be done. I'm sure it can be done, and I'm just missing something simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
      Greg

• By NewBoard
      I have a form in which users make measurements of multiple parts, then input the max and min measurements. I then have conditional formatting that compares these maxes and mins to the hard mins and maxes for that part. If the inputted max is larger than the hard max, or the inputted min is smaller than the hard min; the conditional formatting is supposed to highlight that measurement in red. This has worked in almost every case I have tested so far, except for one strange case. I have a hard min of 9.8, and my user is attempting to input 10 as the min. FileMaker is highlighting this in red, even though 10 is larger than 9.8. When we change it 9.9 it isn't red, but 10.1 makes it red as well. I have no idea why this is happening, so any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

• By muskee
      Hi guys,
      Would appreciate your help. I have a database for a university, basically I have students that enroll to a subject and can either : win, homologate, fail, or cancel the subject.
      I must make a report that shows every student that has failed, canceled or hasn't seen certain subject. The catch is that if the student has seen the subject two or more times and for example the first time he failed it but the second time he won it, that student appears on the report even though he shouldn't because he won the subject on a second try.
      So, how can I make a report that excludes a student that has enrolled a subject more than one time and has failed and won that same subject?

• By mizpurplest
      I am building a custom solution for my company that tries to replicate the functionality people are used to in a series of text-based documents. One of the things I have been asked to produce is a method for highlighting specific text on screen when viewing historic log notes.  In some cases, we have decades of notes for a customer, so simply looking through those records is impractical, and the users want to be able to view the found note in the context of other notes, chronologically, so I can't just have them perform a find for the specific text. 
      Is there a way to jump to the specific row of a portal that contains a specific text string without actually filtering the portal results?

I am using Filemaker Pro 15 on Windows 7.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.