Search until, then

This topic is 2362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Basic question.... Where do I find help on partial word searches?  I've been ...searching.... for a good writeup on FMP search operators that cover this to little avail.

I need a expression that will search, get to a character, and then ignore/wildcard from there.

So a search on "Chicago" will return:

• Chicago
  • Chicago-IL
  • Chicago-001

and so forth.....

Hi,

FM Help covers it quite well here:  Finding records

To find in this example ... enter just chicago

The dash is a word separator but even without a word separator, searching for chicago will also find chicagoian.  What are we missing in understanding your request?

If the example wasn't quite right, and you want to find a word which is WITHIN other text, then you can use the wildcard character as:  *chicago*

I'm afraid that your response didn't help us solve the issue here.  The dash makes no difference - ANY word starting with 'chicago' will have been found.  Are you searching a related table?  We need more information then to help you because searching would work fine in your examples.

I don't know more; I'm the sysadm not the FMP programmer.

As it's set up now, there's a script that finds duplicate nouns. I need it widened beyond exact duplicates to exact+suffix cases. I wanted to first understand the search before going to the programmer.

If the script is searching for EXACT, then it probably begins with == but we can't say for sure without seeing the script.  Find the script, print it to PDF or save as PDF and post it here for us.   However, I would caution about considering a change without speaking with the developer.  There may be good reasons it is finding exact in this instance.  Still, we are happy to take a look for you to help you understand it.  :-)

I wasn't implying you would do anything 'behind her back' ... I was only properly cautioning you.  We still need to see the script if you wish to know how it would be changed to meet your request, which still isn't quite clear.  :-)

3 hours ago, rmstar said:

I don't know more; I'm the sysadm not the FMP programmer.

Shouldn't you be sitting down with your FMP programmer and discussing what changes you would like them to make?

This topic is 2362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.