Options to speed up data transfer for images/container files?

This topic is 2181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I've successfully deployed EasySync 1.3 and we're happy, but we'd be even happier if the sync were quicker.  Since this deployment is strictly pulling a small data set and pushing a bunch of images, the suggestions elsewhere on this forum about using Javascript in a web viewer to do some processing don't apply, I'm pretty sure.

By tweaking the "$$max_push_segment_size" client setting I was able to speed things up by ~25%, but my test data of 27 images still took ~9 minutes to upload.  Does anyone have additional suggestions to speed things up?

Thanks,

Mike

The root of the speed issue you're experiencing is explained here: 

I never did release a new version of my code with the included improvements, but you can see them in the sample file attached to that post and make the same modifications to your file.

Hi Dan,

Are you talking about the FM_Surveys_Mobile_v1r3_DSMOD.fmp12 file about which you said "DO NOT USE IT IN PRODUCTION" or the one at https://github.com/dansmith65/FileMaker-EasySync/tree/dev which you described as a work in progress?  I'll be honest, I saw the thread you pointed to and got overwhelmed trying to figure out how it related to the v1.3 release, I was mostly happy to just get v1.3 working.  Can you point to the relevant content in that thread that will get me started?

Thanks!

Mike

6 minutes ago, mzarin said:

Are you talking about the FM_Surveys_Mobile_v1r3_DSMOD.fmp12 file about which you said "DO NOT USE IT IN PRODUCTION"

Yes, I was referring to that file. I said not to use that specific file in production because I was doing lots of testing/hacking on it and I think FM crashed while I was working with it... I didn't care because the code wasn't meant for production, it was just a proof of concept. But...

You can look at that file, see what I changed, then replicate those changes in your file. It's not easy, or straight-forward, but that's what's available.

Hi Dan,

I compared the before and after Mobile files and, apart from a new field, TO/relationship, and portal, the main differences I could find are in the Pull Payload script.  Since my main concern is with pushing and not pulling, though, I'm wondering if the techniques you've used (which I haven't delved into yet) are likely to help there.  

Also, am I right in assuming that, since you only posted an updated Mobile file, no changes are needed in the Hosted file to accommodate your updates?

Thanks again for giving me some leads!

Mike

Sorry, it's been years since I worked on that code and I forgot that I only optimized the "pull" side of the sync. I believe the same concept could be applied to the code that runs on the server when doing a "push", but I never did that.

If you want to see if that would improve image syncing speed, you could watch the server resources (memory/page faults) while doing a push. If memory use maxes out, then page faults skyrocket, then code improvements would improve sync speed. This is assuming the push script waits for the server's response, I can't remember if it does, off-hand.

This topic is 2181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.