Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Subtotals on an Invoice

This topic is 2156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello All!

New to quickbooks and FM Books Connector.  This may be a QuickBooks issue/question and nothing to do with the plug-in but I thought I'd start here.  I have an invoice created in QuickBooks from an invoice in FileMaker.  Client's past invoices include subtotals (parts, materials, labor) so they want the same for future invoices generated from FM.  In QuickBooks the subtotals are set up in the item list as Type subtotal.  I'm having difficulty  getting these rows created.  I can get all the individual line items created but not the subtotals. Is there a way to create a row on an invoice with the type subtotal or is the way this was set up in QB not proper?  Invoices want to look like this:

Part 1

Part 1

Part SubTotal

Material 1

Material SubTotal

Labor 1

Labor 2

Labor SubTotal

Thanks for any thoughts about how to do this.

Hello,

As far as I know, QuickBooks should be able to handle subtotals in a “subtotal for all lines above it” capacity by default. As for a “subtotal by type” situation, I’m not certain if there is a way to do split up those subtotals.

I would recommend that you touch base with QuickBooks support to see if there are any special tips and tricks that the QB gurus can offer.

-Francis

• 2 weeks later...

I've never passed an ItemSubTotal in an InvoiceLineAdd node, so I'm not sure what--if any--detail ( other than the ItemRef ) is necessary .

Does your InvoiceAddRq creation process sort the FMP InvoiceLineItems by their type ( parts, material, labor ) and then insert an InvoiceLineAdd for the appropriate ItemSubTotal after it processes the last InvoiceLineItem of each relevant type?

If an InvoiceAdd that followed the model in your email included eight InvoiceLineAdd nodes in the model's sequence, I think it will work. Is QB returning an error? If so, what does it say?

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

I hope you'll let us know what you find--I'm really curious to see what's needed ( and/or must be omitted ) to make it work. I couldn't find any direct reference to what's needed, but my reading of page 388 of the 2013 QBSDK_ProGuide is what led me to think it may be nothing more than an ItemRef for the ItemSubTotal.

Are  you attempting this using the Desktop version of QB? If so, the documentation is here...

https://developer-static.intuit.com/qbSDK-current/Common/newOSR/index.html

...but it doesn't appear to say anything useful for your particular use case.

Geoffrey Gerhard
Creative Solutions Incorporated
14000 Creekside Drive
Matthews, NC  28105
704) 814-6852

This topic is 2156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.