Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unidirectional Cartesian Join

This topic is 2128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Smart people,

I have a hosted solution that runs a server side script every 5 minutes polling several different tables and putting the information on a Dashboard table that contains 1 record. I have a table that has 280,000+ records that needs access to the Dashboard's record. I made a Cartesian Join first starting with the Big table to the Dashboard table. After staring at 'Find in progress... Processing query' for an hour, I tried to start the Cartesian join from the Dashboard table to the Big table and have now been staring at the same 'Find in progress... Processing query' for over 2 hours.

I assumed that since the Big table only needed access to the 1 record of the Dashboard table, the join wouldn't take hours to accomplish. Would this be a 1 time processing query? Will future long queries be needed? Is there a preferred direction to make the join in this scenario? I don't need the Dashboard's single record to have any access to the Big table's records, just the Big table's records to have access to the single Dashboard record, thus unidirectional. 

I tried to provide the Dashboard record info to the Big table via global variables but since the script is running server side, the info is not properly updated on every users machine.

What think?

Peter Lehrack

Edited by Peter Lehrack

This topic is 2128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.