SQL to FQL rules

This topic is 2111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am wanting to learn to use the ExecuteSQL() function. I find I seem to take quite naturally to SQL when working through the examples on w3schools but am quickly lost in a maze when I try to translate this learning to use in Filemaker.

I have seen the introductory articles but have rather a lazy mind. Are there a set of concise rules to translate from SQL to FQL?

In passing, as this has become an important feature in Filemaker, would it not be reasonable to expect Filemaker to provide an SQL editor where one could enter standard SQL, use field and table references, and then give us the FQL version of the query?

I have seen the introductory articles but have rather a lazy mind. Are there a set of concise rules to translate from SQL to FQL?

In passing, as this has become an important feature in Filemaker, would it not be reasonable to expect Filemaker to provide an SQL editor where one could enter standard SQL, use field and table references, and then give us the FQL version of the query?

See the above blog for some suggested "editors". There are many threads here, there are many threads on several forums (the above blog, included). Several developers got our hands dirty and tested what works.

SeedCode has an update for (new clauses in 13):
https://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-13-sql/

The SQL guide(s) in FM 12-17 are great, but goes into details that work with the SQL queries to other dbs and using FMServer as ODBC/SQL source.

Since ExecuteSQL() only uses the SELECT statement, we've all narrowed down what does/doesn't work.

Beverly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply. Having admitted to my mental laziness I made some progress. My breakthrough was to put the query into a global text field so I could play with less effort.

This topic is 2111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.