Sorting Value List based on Field

Wickerman

This topic is 2065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am implementing a Value List using "Values from a field"  -- let's say its a list of jobs.  I want the Values to be ordered in a specific, non-alphabetical order, but can't figure out how to do that.  

I see that I can create a "Display Order" field and assign each job its appropriate order, but I don't want to use that # as the field data -- I want to enter the Job name itself.   For example, how can I make these three jobs display in the following order?

Inspector

Archivist

Registrar

That sounds promising . . . but I'm playing around with that approach and not quite getting the result . . . So, I'd think the TO of the layout I'm putting the value list on needs to be related to a TO of the value list source with the SORT option in the relationship box set to the "order" field I created?   That doesn't seem to work . . . could you give me a more specific nudge?

See if this helps you: https://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/ultimate-value-list-control

Otherwise I would build a portal for users to select from. Value Lists are sort of antiquated and frustrating in FileMaker.

Hi Agnes,

For some reason???  the link you entered would not go to the article. Anyway, Wickerman would need to be a member to see the video.

Here is the same link (as far I can see) as what you typed, and I'll test it in a min.

https://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/ultimate-value-list-control

It worked.

Lee

Hi Agnes,

It still fails for me, I get this "/videos%EF%BB%BF/ultimate%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF-value%EF%BB%BF-list-control%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF" could not be found

The video and file seem to be for members only, because it showing the teaser video of approx. 6 mins, without access to the file without login. 

Lee

I accessed the video all right -- there is a paywall to get to the actual how-to material, but that's okay -- I like that site and have been a member in the past, so it's a good occasion to re-subscribe.

• Like 1

This topic is 2065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.