Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best FM coding environment on Mac

This topic is 2066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I develop on a Mac (10.13.6) using FMPA 17. I would prefer to code in a text editor, and have recently become aware of the TextMate + FileMaker Bundle option. From my initial test drive, I prefer this environment to working in Script Workspace. But before I make the investment, I wanted to see if anyone has found an option that is better still. (The path of least resistance for me would be for FileMaker to be a language option in BBEdit, but I haven't been able to find that anywhere.) My primary desires for this coding environment would be choosing my own font (and size), code coloring, code folding, snippet expansion, and the ability to control everything from the keyboard without having to reach for the mouse. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has found such an environment, and from anyone who has been using TextMate and can comment on that experience. Thanks.

Hi dp,

For working with the tools available in FileMaker, I find these tools invaluable. I would start with the tools at ISO Magazine.

https://www.filemakermagazine.com/Resources

See the Tools section

I use the Keyboard shortcuts, Matt's Typinator, and the two plugins listed.

I don't know if this is a change to Script Manager, or one of the plugins might have made this improvement,

• the Cmd and + key combo will increase (cmd -)  the size of the test in the Script Exit box.

Data Viewer

• Typinator will allow you to change the size of text when you use it in Data Viewer, however, it will revert when you close it Data Viewer.

Data Viewer using Typinator.png

Thank you, Lee. Using plug-ins to enhance Script Manager is an approach that had not occurred to me. I should perhaps have mentioned that I'm an in-house developer for a non-profit. At $150 each, the plug-ins are out of my reach, whereas a text editor is already in my budget. I could drop my current editor and switch to one that supports FM without affecting the bottom line.

The two plugins are free for the use I described.

The Developer Assistance is also free from a limited time, and them reverts to a limited amount of the features.

I would be interested to see what other developers use as tools such as these.

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
edited some of the test.

This topic is 2066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.