Sign in to follow this  
jchallenw

Use 4D ODBC as Datasource

Does anyone have experience and/or success using a 4D database as an external datasource through ODBC. I can add the system DSN and add it to FMP. Once I attempt to view the tables in the 4D database, I receive an error that the "ODBC connection is not compatible". Does anyone have a work around or suggestions? Thanks!

Hello,

If you using Windows, be careful of version 32 or 64 bits i think.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the input. I have the proper 64bit driver installed. FMP can load the 4D data source but is giving me an error when trying to view any of the tables.

Have you or could you test ODBC connection with another product for example Excel or a sql tools ?

Tom

Yes, I was able to connect and view the tables using RazorSQL. 

Are you using Windows or Mac OS X ?

Could you display the DSN ?

Tom

I am using windows.  The DNS shows up inside of FMP as it should. Within the ODBC  manager in Windows I can test the connection and it is successful, so that all seems to be correct. It's after I add the external data source within FMP and then do to manage database to pull in the tables I get the error message. I have attached a couple of screen shots.

2018-09-21_13h27_36.png

2018-09-21_13h28_19.png

I am the user and I have full admin rights. I can connect using a SQL tool using my credentials without any issue. The error that I am getting doesn't seem to point towards a rights issue. The error is indicating a compatibility issue. I was hoping to find someone that has successfully connect to a 4D database through ODBC in FileMaker. There are very few details on the web. Thanks.

What is the database in 4D? It is SQL-lite, correct? That is not supported for ESS ( External Sql Source ). You could do an ODBC import. But that functions very differently.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jim.weeda
      For about 12 years, we've had a FileMaker database import external data from a .mdb  (Access) database that has data that is downloaded from some equipment.  The process has survived several computer upgrades (Windows XP and Windows 7) and FileMaker version upgrades (created in 7 and currently running in 16).  It broke when we moved into the Windows 10 environment.  The script is set up to retrieve the data from the .mdb file and it says it can't access the file.  So when I dive into the script and try to specify the ODBC connection it now asks for a username and password.  We've never had a user name or password tied to either the .mdb file, the ODBC connection, or the FileMaker file.  But no matter what we try, we can't get past this step.  Is this a bug?  What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.
    • By Scott Pon
      Using MS Access 2010. Filemaker 13 Pro, Filemaker 13 Server.
      I have a MS Access database that that I programmed to do a lot of calculations and creates data. Now I want that data saved in a Filemaker database.  I was able to create ODBC connection to the Filemaker database.  I am able to view the Filemaker tables/data in MS Access.  
      At 8AM daily I want the Access database to do the calculations, and then insert the data to Filemaker . However every time I try this, the Filemaker Login Screen comes up.  And I would have to manually enter the username and password.
      Is there any way to bypass the log on screen?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By trevix
      On windows 7 (VMware on OSX), using FMP17 and Microsoft Access 2016
      Trying to do a ODBC import and selecting the datasource, I get asked for Username and password, even if the Access DB is not password protected.
      The data sources are correct (tested from Livecode) and should be working without user name and password.
      On the properties of the ODBC pane setup the path seems correct (not pointing to 32): %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
      What am I missing?
    • By Christopher Gauntt
      Hello all,
      I installed FileMaker Pro ODBC drivers, and was able to access the data with queries from Microsoft Excel.
      However, when I tried to access the same data with the same driver using Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, it could see the table occurrences, but it couldn't find any of the data columns.  It came back with the following error:
      " Error at Data Flow Task [ODBC Source [1]]: There was an error while trying to get schema information. Table has no columns."
      I got the same error, no matter which table occurrence I selected.
      Has anyone else run into this and solved it?
      I have been google searching without much luck.  Although I found one post of someone who claimed they were able to do it with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017, so maybe an upgrade is in order?
      Thanks in advance,
      Chris

• By JHickam
      In several tables of our solution there are records being created that have something like, "com.prosc.jdbc.JDBCUtils test d81e5f35-4f7c-4c53-92c1-bc32e3700094" in every field. Today I found 3 tables with collectively 150 records like this... this has been happening on an irregular basis since mirrorsync was implemented several months ago. Is this coincidence or something someone has seen before?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

5 members have viewed this topic:
    edwardv  Pure Fool  iOllivier  Hproth  Johnn 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.