Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drop Down Question

This topic is 2025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am completely new to the FileMaker platform however not new to databases.  I love FileMaker so far however, I'm a bit stuck.

I have a customer table, a cities table and a states table and a form (or layout).  The cities and states are drop down boxes for the user to use however, how do I set it up so that the user can enter NEW data into the drop down box (table) and have it check that for duplicates?

Thanks so much for your help!

One approach I use is to create a table of zip codes (Zips).  I don't allow entry/modification to City, State or Zip on the customers layout.  On the City field, I use an OnObjectEnter script trigger.

The script trigger pops open a card window list view of Zips with City, State & Zip.  There is also a global search field tied to a type ahead script which basically pares down the list as you type.

When the user finds the City|State|Zip they want, clicking a "+" button captures the data, closes the card window and enters the appropriate info into the fields.

If, when typing the list goes 'blank' (no matches) a dialog pops up to ask if they want to create a new CSZ.

If they do, it creates a single blank record where the user can enter the data.  Then with buttons, cancel or create insert that new data.  That script can check for dups.

Edit:  oops...

U/N: admin

P/W: 1234

ZipsDemoSM.fmp12

Edited by Steve Martino

This topic is 2025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.