ChooseFolder…freezing and causing FM to quit in SM 5.X

This topic is 1961 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I register and run just the ChooseFolder( startingPath ; prompt ) function…all is good. But if I register a "few" more functions, the choosefolder freezes and quits FM. This is with FM 15, 16, 17 and Mac or PC. SM4.43 doesn't not have any problem. Seems a memory issue. Anyone else seeing this?

I've loaded up a file that you can edit and test. Thanks. 

directory test.fmp12

Edited by Bailey Kessing

Hi Bailey,

I am not able to reproduce this issue with your example file in Mac High Sierra with FileMaker 17 and ScriptMaster 5.1. I ran the "Register ScriptMaster and Java functions" script after I uncommented a bunch of modules. I then ran the "Choose Folder" script and the file chooser window opened and I was able to select a folder and it's path showed in the Folder text field. What versions of Mac OS/Windows did you test on?

Thanks Ryan. It is strange. Alot of my users are seeing this. I am using the exact same set up as you seemingly but also see it with 15, 16 too. If I register JUST that function all is OK. I did notice that at one point it was only a problem after the first call. Could it be a memory issue? Could it be what Java we have installed? Java 8 191. 

I should also mention that we work for the fed. gov. and there are all sorts of virus scanning programs on our computer etc. Maybe a confounding variable?

ScriptMaster 5.X will not use system Java. On its first init it will download a sandboxed JRE that only runs when the plugin is enabled. Could be a memory issue, I just checked and I didn't realize it but I do have 512 MB memory allocated over the default 96. Try allocating more memory and see if it clears the issue (instructions here). If it doesn't, please email your logs to our support system at [email protected] and reference this thread. When sending the logs, make sure to reproduce and then send the logs before restarting FileMaker as restarting will overwrite the logs.

Bailey...

beachballs straight away on mine

MBP17" 10.12.6 FMP 17.0.2 and latest SM

Over the years the Swing stuff has given the most problems, apart from some of the really edge case stuff I have done...

This topic is 1961 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.