How to Preset Next Filemaker "Open File" directory?

JH Howland

This topic is 1916 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After my Windows 10 based Filemaker Pro 11 MarinaPro Solution is launched (Path = C:/MarinaPro/Marina.fp7), I need to create a variable ($$source = filewin:/C:/MarinaPro/ResScheduler/) to a revised default "Open File" path.  Because I need to select from several reservation request attachment Excel .csv files, placed in the ResScheduler directory by an Outlook 2010 Macro, my "Import Records" script is set with an "unspecified" data source.

When my script is activated with Error Capture "Off", I get the obligatory Filemaker Pro Error message, "The file <unknown> could not be found..." and the "Open File window is still set to "Look in: "MarinaPro" (Default).  And, of course with Error Capture "On" there is no Open File window presented.

I have to manually select and import the first Excel.csv file before the default directory becomes "ResScheduler".

I want my default "Open File" "Look in:" directory changed from "MarinaPro" to "ResScheduler" before I open the first Excel.csv file.

Is there a way, nothing I have tried is working.

Import.pdf

Edited by JH Howland
Attach Script, Revise Title

I would use Get( DocumentPath ) and put MarinaPro and ResScheduler in that folder; not sure why you need your app at the root level.

custom function docPathMarinaPro = Get( DocumentPath )  & "MarinaPro/"

custom function docPathMarinaProDo = Get( DocumentPath )  & "MarinaPro/do/"

custom function docPathMarinaProTmp = Get( DocumentPath )  & "MarinaPro/doing/"

custom function docPathMarinaProDone = Get( DocumentPath )  & "MarinaPro/done/"

custom function docPathResScheduler = Get( DocumentPath )  & "ResScheduler/"

and inside each of those folders I would put do, doing, done

where "do" is the write folder for Outlook 2010

*"doing" is where your parser moves the file it's currently working on; a temp directory in other words

and "done" is where the file is moved after the parsing has been done completely.

*doing could of course be named "In process," but I like the way it's sorted when named doing.

As pr example:

$ exa -lT MarinaPro
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 MarinaPro
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 ├── do
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 ├── doing
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 └── done

$ exa -lT ResScheduler
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 ResScheduler
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 ├── do
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 ├── doing
drwxr-xr-x - user 23 Dec 19:16 └── done

Edited by ggt667
Increased legibility through spacing

Sorry I didn't originally specify "Windows 10" based.  Also, attached the import script I am testing.  I am not really understanding your solution?

I simply want the default Filemaker "Open File" directory changed from "MarinaPro" (set at solution startup) to "ResScheduler" (where .csv files reside) before I start manually importing from selected individual files.

Now that must be an OS setting, no? I would imagine you can set the OS to open recent folder.

Why not just drag your desired folders into the side panel? 

Edited by ggt667

2 hours ago, JH Howland said:

I have to manually select and import the first Excel.csv file before the default directory becomes "ResScheduler".

You could have a script do a dummy import of a dummy file located in the the ResScheduler directory.

Alternatively, use the BaseElements plugin to select the file:
https://baseelementsplugin.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207324927-BE-FileSelect

---
This is a cross-post:
https://community.filemaker.com/thread/193614

Edited by comment

So far no joy, I guess I have not explained my need well enough.  I am wanting to reset the currently set directory (folder) last opened to import a file.  I am not interested in the "files" right now, I am only working with the "folder" (directory).

I want the Windows (not Mac) Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced current default "Open File, Look in:" directory changed from "MarinaPro" (folder set at the solution startup) to "ResScheduler" (folder where the .csv files reside) before I start manually importing from the ever changing quantities of individual reservation attachment .csv files added by an Outlook 2010 Macro.

I am hoping a custom function like, but not having anything to do with Get(DocumentsPath), might work.  Something, for example like Get(DirectoryPath).  I think this may have been addressed in a later version of Filemaker, not sure.

Edited by JH Howland
Spelling

55 minutes ago, JH Howland said:

I guess I have not explained my need well enough.

I think you have.  When you import - either manually, or scripted with dialog - Filemaker will open the last folder used for import (or perhaps the last folder use to locate a file for any purpose - I am not 100% certain about that). So the only way to force Filemaker to open the folder you want, is to import from that folder first. Or use another tool.

55 minutes ago, JH Howland said:

So far no joy,

I am not sure what to make of this.  Have you tried either of the two suggestions? If yes, what specific  issues have you run into?

Edited by comment

On 12/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, comment said:

I think you have.  When you import - either manually, or scripted with dialog - Filemaker will open the last folder used for import (or perhaps the last folder use to locate a file for any purpose - I am not 100% certain about that). So the only way to force Filemaker to open the folder you want, is to import from that folder first. Or use another tool.

I am not sure what to make of this.  Have you tried either of the two suggestions? If yes, what specific  issues have you run into?

I have tried it all, and then some.  I am at the conclusion as stated above, "Filemaker will open the last folder used" - to Open a file.  It appears that I am stuck with that result.  I'm done.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, JH Howland said:

I am at the conclusion as stated above, "Filemaker will open the last folder used" 

Well, if you agree that Filemaker will open the last folder used, then obviously the solution is to make the folder you want to be opened the last folder used. So run a script that uses it, before asking Filemaker to open a folder. That's what I've been trying to tell you.

This topic is 1916 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.